Coolant displacement on Pontiac Grand Prix

charlie

Coolant displacement on Pontiac Grand Prix

Unread post by charlie » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:21 am

i am trying to displace my coolant in my 2006 pontiac grand prix., i have a piece of water hose connected to the t-valve on the hose towards the engine, which is where i flushed it originally with a incoming water hose. when i pour the coolant into the radiator, it should force the water out of the water hose connected to the t-connector now., but nothing is happening. what am i doing wrong?

ProTech

Re: Coolant displacement on Pontiac Grand Prix

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:07 pm

It's not going to work without the thermostat open, which would mean you need a hot engine. Your best best is drain the radiator using the petcock. If you're looking to drain the engine, there is an engine block drain plug on the front of the block, looks like a pipe fitting. Then, you can fill the entire system with a 50/50 mix of coolant and water. Open the bleeders at the t-stat and bypass line to aid in filling.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Cosmo

Grand Prix Gets Hot- Radiator Replaced

Unread post by Cosmo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:06 am

I have a 2001 Grand Prix gtp. I had to put a new radiator in. I flushed the new radiator before I put coolant in it. Replaced cap I also replaced thermostat. Still have problems with it getting to hot. Could this be a bad radiator. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

carriedi

Re: Grand Prix Gets Hot- Radiator Replaced

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:50 am

what are you basing your overheat condition on? Does the gauge go into the red? Is the coolant boiling over into the recovery tank? Have you hooked up a scanner to see what the computer says what the temperature is compared to your gauge? Or, have you used a temperature gun to verify temperature at the temp. gauge sender? What temperature does the fans tuen on?

System work with water pump circulating coolant through engine. when the temp. rises to limit set by thermostat, thermostat opens and allows coolant through radiator. Electric fans controlled by the computer activated relays to turn on when the temp. reaches preset limits for low speed and high speed operation.

I have had cases where the impeller has come loose from the water pump shaft before but it's not common
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Cosmo

Radiator boiling over tank

Unread post by Cosmo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:49 pm

I am basing on the gauge and I did have the coolant boil over to the tank.

carriedi

Re: Radiator boiling over tank

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:43 pm

you may want to do some checks to see if you have a head gasket problem. Check for hydrocarbons out of the cooling system or leave a pressure tester on the cooling system overnight and check for coolant on the cylinders in the morning. is pulling spark plugs and seeing if coolant splashes out of the spark plug holes on cranking. (disable fuel system while cranking) or just start the car and watch for a lot of white smoke out the tailpipe.

bdog57

Temperature guage always on hot

Unread post by bdog57 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:40 pm

I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix in which I have replaced the radiator & cap, temperature sensor, water pump & both exhaust manifold gaskets. I added coolant and purged the cooling system and erased the codes. When I turn the key on, the temperature gauge goes to hot! At the moment, there is no thermostat but the gauge is spiking without the engine running. :? Does anyone have an idea of what is going on?

Bdog57

carriedi

Re: Temperature guage always on hot

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:46 pm

hook it up to a scanner and do a sweep test. It may have a bad stepper motor. (or a bad cluster) all the gauges use the same stepper motor and it is controlled by the cluster module. they are not just replaceable like the old gauges were. They are soldered to the circuit board. (just like the dash lights nowadays)