Throttle Position Sensor and Purge Solenoid

kohl

Throttle Position Sensor and Purge Solenoid

Unread post by kohl » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:26 pm

Hello everyone,

I have bit of a problem with my 97 Grand Prix SE, when I bought the car back in September and took it through inspection it gave a code saying that I need a Throttle Position Sensor. However; I have had three diagnostics done at my local parts store and it is only throwing a P0441 code. As for that code I replaced the Purge Solenoid and had it retested and it gave the same code. I see that the rubber ends are pretty raggedy, so I bought some vaccum rubber and put it on, but haven't had it retested yet. The car drags when accelarating and doesn't change gear as it should unless I really "put the pedal to the metal" and the transmission fluid is at the right level, but gas is consumed badly. I have bought the TPS, but have not changed it out, so my question is: should I change the TPS even though it's not showing up? Also, I smell exhaust when I have the ac/heat on when my car is just sitting, but once I am driving the smell goes away...what could this be?

Thanks In Advance

ProTech

Re: Throttle Position Sensor and Purge Solenoid

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:24 pm

I wouldn't recommend replacing the TPS unless you're setting a code for it and it has been diagnosed as the problem.

As for the P0441 resetting, I'd make absolutely sure that you have no leaks in any of the lines running to and from the purge solenoid. Otherwise, it could be a computer problem possibly, or a junk new part. A scanner would come in handy here to be able to command the purge solenoid on to actually see what's happening.

The exhaust smell could be an exhaust leak that is getting into the vent system for the car, or possibly just smell from the car running badly. The acceleration issue could be due to a clogged catalytic converter which would also give the smell too.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

kohl

Unread post by kohl » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:32 am

The TPS code showed when I took my car through inspection to get it registered, but it's not showing up on Autozone's scanner :?: . I don't really know how to check for leaks per se, I'm trying to do simple repairs myself because I can't afford to have the mechanic charge me half the value of the car for a 'Simple Simon' fix. I'm sort of playing things by ear, so how would I check for the leaks and I bought a PCV valve do I need to change that? The car has over 222,000 miles on it, but it actually runs fairly descent...I am noticing small performance issues and want to fix them, so they want get worse.

Thanks,

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:33 am

Well, for one thing, I would never trust a parts store's scanner. They just have a generic tool that attempts to pull information and sometimes will not get it all right. If you are actually showing a code for the TPS on another scanner, I would definitely check it out. They are pretty common to go out, and fairly inexpensive so you should probably just change it.

As for any EVAP problems or leaks, you really need some special equipment, so you will not be able to really do a full test of the system. The best you can do is just visually inspect the lines for any cracks, connectors not seating, etc.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

kohl

Unread post by kohl » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:17 am

Ok, I will definitely change the TPS...I figured that their scanner was definitely "generic." I'll do another visual inspection of the lines,I'm hoping it's nothing major.

Thanks