3800 Coolant Temperature Sensor Replacement

kohl

3800 Coolant Temperature Sensor Replacement

Unread post by kohl » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:05 pm

Hello everyone,

I am having a bit of a problem, I need to replace my Coolant Temperature Sensor on my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 3800. However, there's a bracket bolted in my way and I do not know how to maneuver around it. Is there anyway I can get to it or do I have to take the bracket off?

Thanks,
Attachments
pontiac-grand-prix-coolant-temp-sensor-location.jpg
pontiac-grand-prix-coolant-temp-sensor-location.jpg (77.3 KiB) Viewed 18864 times

ProTech

Re: Coolant Temperature Sensor

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:43 pm

You do not have to remove any brackets to replace the coolant temperature sensor on your Grand Prix. Normally, you can get a wrench on it through the opening towards the driver's side of the car. If you need some extra space, you can remove the upper hose/thermostat housing and/or the engine harness located above it. This isn't usually necessary, but can make it more open.

Once you get the sensor loose, you can turn it out the rest of the way with your fingers.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

kohl

Re: Coolant Temperature Sensor

Unread post by kohl » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:24 pm

ProTech wrote:You do not have to remove any brackets to replace the coolant temperature sensor on your Grand Prix. Normally, you can get a wrench on it through the opening towards the driver's side of the car. If you need some extra space, you can remove the upper hose/thermostat housing and/or the engine harness located above it. This isn't usually necessary, but can make it more open.

Once you get the sensor loose, you can turn it out the rest of the way with your fingers.
Okay, the engine harness is what I was referring to, so hopefully I will be able to get to it without doing all of that. I'll try to remove the upper hose because I can't get to it regularly.

Thank You

Sky

Re: 3800 Coolant Temperature Sensor Replacement

Unread post by Sky » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:38 pm

Try a deep socket 19 with a swivel head...im working on it now and thats what i am trying next. Its in a spit that makes it a pain...tried all other options and nothing

Sky

Re: 3800 Coolant Temperature Sensor Replacement

Unread post by Sky » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:39 pm

And that first response was just dead wrong! With the 3800 engine it is much more difficult due to the placement of the sensor. You can barely get the deep socket 19 around the sensor then when u do you cannot turn the handle because it hits the bracket. Its gotta be the worst placement for something so easy to repair...