Grand Prix GTP accelerating problem

Lordbittle

Grand Prix GTP accelerating problem

Unread post by Lordbittle » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:47 pm

My 98 GTP is having an issue that just started within hours, when started and driving it is fine but after a few minutes in drive it jumps from around 1800rpm to redline and won't move like its revving in neutral same for third gear but it doesn't do it in 2nd gear need help figuring out what's wrong

ProTech

Re: Grand Prix GTP accelerating problem

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Seems like you have a transmission that is slipping, which is never a good thing. If it only happens in certain gears, the problem lies within that area in the transmission.

A problem like this would normally require the transmission removed from the vehicle and disassembled to find the exact problem, or the parts that have failed or burnt up due to the slipping condition.

Your best bet would be to take it a shop where a tech experienced with transmissions can test drive it and give you his opinion on what might be wrong. Also, there may have been some codes stored during the slip condition, which the tech can scan and help him to find what's wrong.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Lordbittle

Unread post by Lordbittle » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Turns out I checked the code the other day and a code came back for the throttle control being stuck unlocked, and a code for a maf sensor in the exhaust. So knowing this what does that mean now?

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Can you give me the exact codes that came up? What you are describing makes no sense at all, there is not a MAF sensor in the exhaust, and there is no throttle control since you don't have an electronic throttle body. If you can give the codes that came up, by number, then I can help you better.

Lordbittle

Unread post by Lordbittle » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Well instead of believing the shitty reader that autozone has I took it to a mechanic and they have me these codes that were off. P0230, P0730, P0742, P1810 that's what they've givin me that's wrong and they said they were gonna do what tey could to figure out what they could do in their opinion, but my grandpa worked for gm for over 40 years and since he passed I can't ask him but in your opinion as a professional opinion what do you think I could be looking at?

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:09 pm

Ok, all but one of those codes are transmission related, so you most definitely have some sort of internal transmission failure. The P0230 is for the fuel pump relay control and can sometimes be set by other problems, and is usually nothing to worry about. At worst it would be just a bad relay which is no big deal at all. Now for the transmission on the other hand...

The other three codes...P0730 is for an incorrect gear ratio, P0742 is for the TCC being stuck on, and the P1810 has to do with the transmission pressure valve. All of these usually pop up when you have a slipping condition inside the transmission. More that likely you will be looking needing an entire overhaul, which can be fairly expensive.

Lordbittle

Unread post by Lordbittle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:39 pm

Well as far as the transmission goes I did figure out the thing that caused it to start slipping the way it was, whoever rebuilt the trans around I wanna say 30k miles ago was either in a massive rush or is a complete moron because the mechanic said the trans filter was laying in the bottom of the pan he said the braket for it wasn't even fastened to it so it got clogged up and couldn't do anything but hold up the trans, he changed the filter and put in new fluid and now every gear doesn't slip at all and it runs like normal, but he did say for the tcc that in order to do that they would have to actually get into the trans to fix it. Now hypothetically if that isn't fixed what could happen to it, because I don't really have 600 to fix that would that be ok like tht if the car was babied and fixed in say 3 months when I do have the money? Sorry to ask so many questions all the time

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:14 pm

I would really hesitate to drive it all, or at least as very little as possible. With the TCC problem still there, you risk doing other damage to internal components of the transmission which will just end up costing even more money to fix. Of course it's up to you whether to drive it or not, but I'd try and find some way to get it fixed correctly before really putting a lot of miles on it again.