2004 Pontiac grand prix Exhaust Smells Like Eggs

Brittibbs218

2004 Pontiac grand prix Exhaust Smells Like Eggs

Unread post by Brittibbs218 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:30 am

I have an 04 grand prix gtp n it has bad exhausted it smells like eggs n it's running horribly. Can you help me to figure out my problem? :|

ProTech

Re: 2004 Pontiac grand prix Exhaust Smells Like Eggs

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:05 pm

The smell is definitely from the way it is running. So if it's running terribly, as you say, that would be why the exhaust stinks so badly.

Usually, to get it running bad enough to smell, the engine is experience a misfire condition. This would be due to anything from a bad ignition component, to a faulty fuel injector, to an internal engine problem.

If it's running poorly, I'm sure the check engine light is on, so you may want to get the car scanned and see what trouble codes are set. That is the best way to begin in diagnosing a problem like this. You don't want to waste money just guessing at parts to try and fix this.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

dwayne

Temporary catalytic converter repair

Unread post by dwayne » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:37 pm

I would like to know if I were to drill a hole about half inch just before the catalytic converter if it would release enough back pressure so I can drive my Grand Prix into the city to a muffler shop as I have about 30 - 40 k to take it If I do not have to cut pipe off it would be better.

Karl

Re: Temporary catalytic converter repair

Unread post by Karl » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:12 pm

A hole that small in the catalytic converter pipe would not do anything if the problem you are having is no power when accelerating. The size you are talking about is way to small.

If drilling a hole is your thought, it would have to very large. The engine is pushing a LOT or exhaust when it is running, expecially when accelerating.

Depending on how badly plugged the converter is, you would need to cut the pipe almost in half to see any improvement in performance.
Read some SIMILAR questions down below for more help.
Check out our Photo Gallery

dwayne

Re: Temporary catalytic converter repair

Unread post by dwayne » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:40 pm

thanks for the info I had a feeling I might have to cut pipe off