pontiac grand prix timing chain replacement

dwayne

pontiac grandprix timing chain

Unread post by dwayne » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:55 pm

hi i am dwayne my problem is still low vacuum around 10 should be at least 18 to 20 I have tried a lot of different thing from replaceing the intake manifold gaskets to checking the catalytic convertor now I am thinking of checking the timing chain as the motor acts like the timing is off and maybe its stretched or jumped a tooth could this possibly throw off vacuum readings and maybe solve my headaches. I can not think of any other possibilitys can you

TerryAuto

Re: pontiac grandprix timing chain

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:15 pm

If you are SURE the catalytic converter is good, the pushrods are all in the correct spots, the EGR valve is not stuck slightly open and you have good fuel pressure, then yes, the next step would be to check the timing.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

dwayne

pontiac grand prix timing chain replacement

Unread post by dwayne » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:56 pm

I am pulling the timing chain cover off of a 3100sfi grand prix 2000 and from what I have read you have to drop the oil pan before you can remove the timing chain cover. Also do you have to replace the spockets if they do not look worn when you find the chain stretched. Most dealers seem to sell the chain and sprockets separtely

ProTech

Re: pontiac grand prix timing chain replacement

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:39 pm

You do NOT have to remove the oil pan to get the timing cover off. The cover sits on the front of the pan and will come off normally once everything is taken off that needs to be. Upon reinstallation, just be sure to silicone the bottom of the cover where it sits in the oil pan lip/gasket area so you don't have any leaks.

As for the chain/sprocket question, I've never run into a stretched timing chain on the 3.1 engines in all my years working on these. They are pretty reliable engines, at least on the bottom end. If you feel you do have a stretched chain, I would always recommend replacing the cam and crank sprockets no matter how good the old ones look.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+