1997 Grand Prix ABS, Tire And Low Coolant Light

reggielynn27

1997 Grand Prix ABS, Tire And Low Coolant Light

Unread post by reggielynn27 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:23 pm

abs light is on check tire pressure light is on low coolant light is on when the car is full of anti freeze 1997 grand prix 3.8 engine 6 cylinder

ProTech

Re: 1997 Grand Prix ABS, Tire And Low Coolant Light

Unread post by ProTech » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Let's start with the low coolant light. If you're sure the radiator is full of coolant, you probably have a faulty low coolant sensor. This is pretty common and very easy to change. It is located in the radiator, on the right hand side, a few inches below the fill neck. Once you change it out, and top off the coolant, the light will go out.

Now, for the ABS light and low tire light. These might be connected, or can be different things entirely. The vehicle estimates tire pressure by using the wheel speed sensors on each of the 4 hubs on the car. It would assume a tire is low if the speed it is seeing from one wheel is different than the other three. You might want to start by just checking and making sure all the tire pressures are set correctly.

You may also want to try to get the car's ABS system scanned for any trouble codes stores. Since the light is on, there should be a code to go off of which might tell you which wheel is giving you the problem. More than likely, if the tire pressures are ok, you have a bad wheel speed sensor or harness. Once that problem is fixed, the tire light will go off too.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

niceguy123

R.P.M cluster stopped working, traction control lite on

Unread post by niceguy123 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:42 am

hello, I have a 98 grand prix se 3.1 v6 engine, which a repairman just replaced with another 3.1 v6 engine. engine runs fine, problem is now my instrument cluster for the (RPM)'s is not working, when I start the engine the tach, engages and then just drops back down to zero, all the other gages work, just like they did before the new engine was installed. I was told that the repairman may have not connected the spark plug wires to the ignition coil's wrong. Also now my traction control lite stays on, I believe that the lite problem has something to do with him reconnecting the power steering hoses.
Thanks, eddie

P.S I also noticed that the engine is not mis-firing however it does seem to idle a little ruff, I think again the this may have something to do with the spark plugs and wires he installed (new).
What do you think?

ProTech

Re: R.P.M cluster stopped working, traction control lite on

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:39 pm

The tachometer on the instrument cluster could be related to the previous repairs, or it may just be a coincidence. I've seen clusters go out all the time for no reason. The only way it wouldn't work with the different engine installed is if something was left disconnected, which is probably unlikely as the check engine light would be on because of it. You might want to have him go over the car once again just to make sure everything is hooked up properly. Otherwise, you'll be looking at having to purchase a replacement cluster and having that installed.

As for the rough idle, it may just be normal. Those engines can idle a bit rough at times but have everything check out ok. Once again, if you did have a problem that was severe enough, the check engine light would be on. Probably nothing to worry about, unless it gets worse.

ProTech

Re: R.P.M cluster stopped working, traction control lite on

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:40 pm

The trac light is on due to a problem with the anti-lock brake system, not anything to do with your power steering hoses. You might want to get the car scanned and see what codes come up and go from there.