2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Possible Blown Head Gasket

Dwaynem

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Possible Blown Head Gasket

Unread post by Dwaynem » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi my name is Dwayne a question I would like to ask and recieve an answer to is can you have a compression reading on all six cylinders of between 145 and 150 psi and still possibly have a blown head gasket. the motor is a 3100sfi from a Pontiac Grand Prix 2000.

I have replaced the intake gaskets and get a vacuum reading of 13. I also have replace the crank sensor and the cam sensor the only sensor left is the map,knock sensors that i know of. car runs good at idle but when you try to drive it by accelating it stalls or hesitates there is no signs of water in oil what might my problem be. please send rely to my email thank you.

ProTech

Re: 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Possible Blown Head Gasket

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:33 pm

Usually when all the cylinders read near or the same compression, you will not have a blown cylinder head gasket. I wouldn't think a blown head gasket would cause your hesitation problem, either, so you must have something else going on with the car.

I'd recommend getting the car scanned for codes to see if there are any set, and to help with diagnosis. It really could be anything from a bad sensor, to poor fuel pressure, a vacuum leak, a clogged catalytic converter, etc. There are plenty of possibilities here. A scanner can come in handy to actually watch what is going on when the car acts up.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

dwayne

Unread post by dwayne » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:33 pm

I was told that my problem of low vacuum (11 - 13) on a 3100sfi grandprix could possibly be my catalytic converter is plugged but its not showing me any codes or engine check lights I have ruled out a blown head gasket I have resealed the intake manifold and now I am putting a new throttle body gasket just to be sure its not leaking could there possibly be any other part or sensor that could lead to my headache

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Just because there are no codes or check engine lights does not mean you still couldn't have a bad catalytic converter. A quick way to check this is to disconnect the exhaust at the back manifold so it does not go through the converter or rest of the exhaust. You would see a change on your vacuum gauge for the better if this was the problem.

Hard to say about any other sensor or module that can cause this trouble, as just about any of them can if they are faulty.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

ronnh

Unread post by ronnh » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:34 am

I had same issue, replaced CAT and the power was back. no codes either, weird, you would think that there would be one.