Where is the input speed sensor located on the motor?

ari

Where is the input speed sensor located on the motor?

Unread post by ari » Wed May 12, 2010 9:41 pm

I bought the speed sensor for a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix SE and I wanna put it on my self.

TechJK

Re: Where is the input speed sensor located on the motor?

Unread post by TechJK » Wed May 12, 2010 11:19 pm

The input speed sensor is located on the control valve body assembly of the transmission.
The side cover will need to come off.
In order to do this, the left side of the frame will need to be lowered. This includes using support fixtures to hold the engine and trans. and lower the entire assembly and frame and related components to get the cover off. A very big job that cannot really be done in your garage without a lift and proper tools.

tjkeno

Drive Axles & Hub Bearing Assemblies

Unread post by tjkeno » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:07 pm

My car is a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 3.8L V-6 4-dr sedan with no supercharger and no ABS.

Replacing drive axle and hub bearing assembly on each side this week.

The new Cardone drive axles came with "crimped" or "staked" axle nuts. The outermost thread or two is compressed, and you can only turn the nut by hand until it is flush with the end of the axle. From there on, you would need to use a wrench, which I have not done yet.

I assume this is to force an interference fit between the axle nut and the threads on the drive axle. Is this something new? Will tightening this nut down damage the axle threads to the point where this can't be dis- and re-assembled again later? Will it affect the torque wrench reading?

I'd like to replace the knuckle-to-hub mounting bolts with new ones, but can't find them anywhere. Ideas or hints? OK to clean them well and reuse with blue Loctite?

Thanks for any help.

carriedi

Re: Drive Axles & Hub Bearing Assemblies

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:57 am

No, it isn't something new. It's been around for quite some time. While it is recommended to replace a self-locking nut every time you use one, It is possible to reuse them if you don't have new ones. Just make sure you torque to manufacturer specs.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

tjkeno

Re: Drive Axles & Hub Bearing Assemblies

Unread post by tjkeno » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:08 pm

UPDATE

Talked to an ASE tech at Cardone this morning. He said the slightly "deformed" outermost thread or two on the axle nut makes it something called a torque prevailing nut. It will not damage the threads on the drive axle nor affect a torque wrench reading. He said they will be completely unusable if/when they are removed, but you're not supposed to reuse axle nuts anyway.

I found new hub-to-knuckle bolts at my local Chevy dealer for $5.03 each, so I'll go ahead and get those. No sense installing $260 worth of parts and then cheaping out for an additional $30. (GM part number 11570580 -- used on many GM cars like Impalas, Regals, and other W-bodies.)