2001 grand prix wont shift from park

racerk1980

2001 grand prix wont shift from park

Unread post by racerk1980 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:24 pm

I have a 01 pontiac grand prix .1st thing the car sometimes wont shift out of park cause the light on the dash isnt lite up.p,r,n,d,1,2,its a little red light that shows what gear u r in.if u bang on the key enough it lites up and your good until u shut it off again and after u shut it off u can get the key out.the 2nd issue is while driving sometimes it just shuts off.can someone shed some light on this for me? i was told it could be the brake/transaxle shift interlock solenoid (btsi) is this true.

Jay

Re: 01 grand prix

Unread post by Jay » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:06 pm

The not coming out of gear may be related to the brakes shift interlock. Had a few where the solenoid in the shift consule was bad and not sending enough voltage to unlock the plunger in the column- which is blow the key. This would not cause the stalling out. Banging on the key may be related to both problems.
the key goes into the ignition cylinder, the cylinder goes in to the ignition switch. The ignition sitch fees power to many of the cars systems, including the shift lock, dash display, and engine electrcal system. The ignition switch may be all the problems.

SVick83

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP shifting hard

Unread post by SVick83 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:17 pm

I have a 97' GP GTP and Whenever the car is in performance shift it shifts perfect. If I take it out of performance shift the car always shifts hard. Whenever there is more weight in the car it is faster to shift hard. If I shut the car off and start it back up it shifts good for a little bit. What could this be?

ProTech

Re: 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP shifting hard

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Not an easy diagnosis to do online, but something probably amiss inside the transmission. You might want to see if any trouble codes have set and go from there. Otherwise, you're looking at having the trans removed, disassembled and inspected to find the problem. This won't be cheap if you've got internal problems.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

adziura

2008 grand prix

Unread post by adziura » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:40 am

front wobble driver side wheel moves up and down when i shake it ??

carriedi

Re: 2001 grand prix wont shift from park

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:40 pm

bad wheel bearing or ball joints can let the wheel wobble up and down when you shake it. to check where the wobble is coming from you would need one person to shake the wheel while the other person looks to see where the movement is coming from.

whatever you do, do it safely. If you jack the vehicle up make sure that you have jack stands under the vehicle in case the jack fails. It does happen. Don't get caught underneath the vehicle
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

MCCRAY JR

Re: 2001 grand prix wont shift from park

Unread post by MCCRAY JR » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:58 pm

FOR THE CAR SHUTTING OFF TRY CHANGING THE FUEL FILTER AND A NEW IGNITION SWITCH FOR THE OTHER PROBEM