2001 Grand Prix Service Engine Soon Light issues

Dawn

2001 Grand Prix Service Engine Soon Light issues

Unread post by Dawn » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:31 am

I'm having Service Engine Light Soon problems on my 2001 Grand Prix . It started months ago, so I took the car to a mechanic, who put on a new EGR valve (after-market) .. Everything was great, but the car still hestitated at start. The SES light came on again months later. I went to auto part store several times and it was throwing the EGR valve code for being stuck open, which made no sense since it was a new part. Problems became worse at start, so a I had a dealer look at it during an oil change. They said the codes were scrambled and needed to be reset for the EGR and that it needed a new fuel pressure regulator, so I did that. The car ran perfect --- for 2 weeks. Then it started stalling at stop lights nearly every day, and then the engine died one day while I making a left turn in traffic. That was scary. Thinking it might be a warranty issues with the new fuel pressure regulator, I took it back to the dealer. But no, this time, they said it was the mass flow sensor, which I reluctantly replaced (it wasn't cheap). So between the two, I've spent more money than I care to admit. Again, for 2 or 3 weeks, the car ran great -- almost like brand new despite 100,000-plus miles. But guess what, about two weeks after the mass flow sensor was put in, the Service Engine Soon light is back on. This time, I took the car by an auto part store and the code said EGR sensor. Since then, the light has gone off and come back on at different intervals... now it is staying on all the time. Car has been running OK despite this, but the RPM's are fluctuating some when coasting. I put a can of Sea Foam in the tank, something I do every 4 to 6 months. The light is still on. Not sure whether to take it back to the dealer for them to check this EGR sensor, or if it might be something related to the other parts they put on? I'm halfway nervous to take it to the dealer -- every time I walk in the door, it costs me money and then in two weeks, bam, there's another problem. Not sure if the EGR sensor is different than the EGR valve I had put on, and wonder if it is an easy fix/repair, or if I should take it in somewhere. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

MeccBoy

Re: 2001 Grand Prix Service Engine Soon Light issues

Unread post by MeccBoy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:13 pm

The EGR sensor is part of the EGR valve. Without the exact code numbers, i could just guess that there is a wiring problem. Expecially since it staled when aking a turn. Possibly ground problem or connector problem at the EGR valve. Narmally a problem with this valve will n ot cause the engine to stall. This code may be a result of some other issue. A plugged catalytic converter can cause EGR valve codes. If the code is P1404, there is a computer software reflash to correct this that may apply to your car. If you have the 3.1L engine, a plugged passage for the valve will cause valve codes.
With valve codes and mass airflow codes, sounds like a plugged catalytic converter. Sometimes they do not give converter codes. If it is the catalytic converter, General Motors has a special policy that will warranty the converter for 10 years or 120,000 miles at no cost to you. Pl,ugged converter will also give a lack of power under heavy acceleration when the engine is hot.

Dawn

Unread post by Dawn » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:59 am

Thanks for your reply.
I wondered about the plugged converter as well, but I had that replaced under a recall/warranty about 2 years ago, so the dealer keeps saying it is fine.
Since my last post, I had more trouble with the car, although the SES light would go on and off sometimes. I took it back to the dealer this week. They put in on the computer and found nothing to explain all the issues, except the EGR valve, which they dismisssed initally because I had told them I replaced it back in February. They finally said they are certain the EGR valve that was on there was only working about 10 percent of the time. Since I took it to a small shop, out of town, back in February, I know it was an after-market part and I pretty much had no way of a warranty, so I felt I had to replace it with a GM part. So far, the car is running like brand new again. It wasn't a cheap fix having to do this part twice, but even though the dealer if often a bit more expensive than a small mechanic shop, at least they use GM parts warranted for 12 months or 12,000 miles. Hopefully I won't have any more issues, and if so, I'm going to pursue the issue of a simple wiring problem like you suggested. Of course now that we replaced the EGR valve again, I wonder if that fuel pressure regulator and mass air flow sensor were necessary repairs, but I'll never really know. Right now, I'm just glad to have my car running great. I love my Pontiac Grand Prix and since they don't make it anymore, I want to keep this one going a couploe more years. Thanks for the help.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:40 am

Good job Meccboy.
Thanks for your input !
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.