2002 Grand Am Ecotec Idle Issues

wootler

2002 Grand Am Ecotec Idle Issues

Unread post by wootler » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:19 pm

Hey Folks! Daughter’s 2002 Grand Am SE with 2.2 ECOTEC, 97K miles. Rough idle issue. Last mechanic said no codes???
After a computer reset (disconnect battery for 15 minutes, ignition switch to run for a minute, off, then start.) idle issues go away for a while (weeks). Then gradually start getting rougher and rougher to the point that if stopped at a light in drive with the A/C on it will buck and die. Without any load (A/C or turning at idle) it will buck but usually keeps running. It will crank right back up and always runs strong and smooth above idle with no hesitation.
Have replaced plugs (AC Delco), boots, Idle Air Control Valve, cleaned intake and butterfly, and fuel filter. Just wondering where to look next?

mudn4life

Re: 2002 Grand Am Ecotec Idle Issues

Unread post by mudn4life » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:12 pm

ok by un hooking the battery you are reseting the kam ( keep alive memory) It sounds like something is going on and when the pcm trys to adjust for the issue it causes your idle and running problem i would suspect a vacume leak issue or a bad mass air flow sensor and or map sensor a lot of after market shops dont know what there looking at when they look at the data logger/ data stream but i am more then sure if someone would look at it and compare it to normal readings wich they could find in the shop manule i am sure they could find the problem. things in this area like a low map sensor reading would not set a code but would cause a running problem a dirty mass air flow sensor could also cause the issue with out setting the dtc if your looking to try and fix this your self a can of crc mass air flow clean is cheep and might fix your issue but then agian your issue might not lie there

wootler

Unread post by wootler » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:08 pm

mudn4life - KAM=Good info! Forgot to mention the mechanic said there were no vacuum leaks, and there is no MAF sensor on this engine. (Took me 15 minutes looking and a google search to finally figure that out, HA!) I pulled/inspected/re-installed the MAP sensor but didn't replace it.

Last mechanic I took it to said he found info that it could be due to a burned exhaust valve/valve seat?? I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but that didn't make any sense to me and I really didn't want to spend $600+ to find out he was wrong!

Way too many stories similar to this on the internet about dealerships replacing ICM's BCM's and the problem returns. Sounds like they were just resetting the KAM in the process?

This has been a great little car for the past 10 years and I really hate to give up on it too quickly. I'll have to start looking for a good trustworthy shop with some good diagnostics equipment/experience.

mudn4life

Unread post by mudn4life » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:48 pm

If was a burnt valve it would not come and go now a warped valve and valve seat would come and go due the the fact a valve will turn and could come and go and off idle would seem to run fine but the fact that you can un hook the battery and the problem we go away and then come back a few weeks later makes me think its not a valve issue if you have a scaner and could check you map sensor and also look at fuel trims long and short. dose the car smeel like its running rich any black smoke out of the exahust.

wootler

Unread post by wootler » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks mudn. There is no indication that it is running rich (smoke, smell, tail pipe looks pretty clean.) . I got a lead on a highly recommended shop/mechanic. Gonna talk to him tomorrow. Maybe we can get this figured out. My wife has driven it the past few days and says it is starting to act up pretty good again. If it's spittin' and sputterin', surely something will show up on the diagnostic scan. We'll see!

wootler

Unread post by wootler » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:06 pm

Well, well well .... I've read a gazillion b-board discussions on this 2.2 ecotec idle issue. Sometimes the simple things work, but in many cases the problem comes back just like my daughter's Grand Am. It had a bad coil tower! Specifically the #1 coil?? Took it to a highly recommended shop with good diagnostic equipment. Not exactly a part you would throw in "hoping" it worked at $270! Thanks for the looks and the help!

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:22 pm

Glad to hear you got it fixed and you shared with us !
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.