Electrical issues with Grand Am

dadams

Electrical issues with Grand Am

Unread post by dadams » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:58 am

What could be the cause of electrical failure of horn and fuel gauge (simulateously) in a Grand Am. I have had some eletrical repairs made previously but the problem persists.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: Electrical issues with Grand Am

Unread post by butchkaz » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:33 pm

What year is the grand am?
Did these 2 things go out at EXACTLY the same time?
Any work done just prior to this?
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

dadams

Unread post by dadams » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:03 am

Yes the two happened simutaneously. I believe that this is a 2002 (My Mom's car). She had the fuel pump replaced and a sensor (having to do with the fuel system). After these repairs where made, another mechanic said that the car had electrical problems (frayed wires - but I'm not sure which ones have been replaced). The horn and fuel gauge problem happened after the wiring issues was repaired.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Several Electrical issues with Grand Am

Unread post by butchkaz » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:38 pm

dadams wrote:Yes the two happened simutaneously. I believe that this is a 2002 (My Mom's car). She had the fuel pump replaced and a sensor (having to do with the fuel system). After these repairs where made, another mechanic said that the car had electrical problems (frayed wires - but I'm not sure which ones have been replaced). The horn and fuel gauge problem happened after the wiring issues was repaired.
The common problem with the fuel gauge not funtioning properly is the the level sensor in the tank. But it sounds like that was replaced and did not fix it.
Assiuming all the fuses are good, the horn and fuel gauge are seperate circuits. We have had problems with bad connections or burned terminals in a large connector on the drivers side, under the carpet and the passenger side under the carpet.
If both these things happened after a wiring repair, you need to find out where that repair was made and have the other wires in that are checked. Repairing frayed wires may have disturbed other wires for the fuel level and horn in that area.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

perplexed

Unread post by perplexed » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:17 pm

Hi I have a 2004 3.4 grand am, I have two fuses that do not have any power crank #54 and cool fan 2 # 55 check all the rest with test light all good.Anybody have a clue why?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:44 am

the crank fuse will only have power in the start position. so it wont show power any other time. It comes from the ignition switch and goes to the PCM.

the cool fan2 fuse should be a 15A fuse and have power all the time. If you don't have power on that fuse you need to check out the fuse box for something wrong with it
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.