Grand Am Electric Issues- Speedometer, ABS, Traction

lupanar

Grand Am Electric Issues- Speedometer, ABS, Traction

Unread post by lupanar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:21 pm

2004 Grand Am GT - All just happened today- When I hit the brakes my odometer goes out, let off the brakes it comes back on. Speedometer also quit registering correctly (said I was doing 55 when I was probably going around 20). My ABS, Service engine soon and traction control lights are on (they have been on for months, but wondering if it was an ABS issue left unattended which could be causing my issue now?)- this usually happens when my wheel bearings go bad- although they arent yet so I was confused when my lights came on.

ProTech

Re: Grand Am Electric Issues- Speedometer, ABS, Traction

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:37 pm

You probably have a few different issues going on. I doubt your ABS troubles have anything to do with the odometer going out when you hit the brakes, and/or the speedometer not functioning correctly. Problems like this are usually a short in the wiring somewhere, whether that be in the wiring harness, or inside an actual module is the hard part to find out. You could possibly have a faulty instrument cluster that is shorted internally and causing the hectic readings and malfunctions. The ABS issues are probably one or more hubs/wheel speed sensors that are bad, but of course the system would need to be scanned to make sure.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

lupanar

Unread post by lupanar » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:52 pm

I did notice that my lights go off ONLY when my daytime running lights are on. I switched my lights to "on" and hit the brakes and nothing happened. Switched them to "auto" hit the brakes and my odometer and lights went off. I am being told to replace my wheel bearings that the sensor inside the bearings could be causing this? I dont want to spend 200.00 if this wont correct the problem? Any ideas?

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:28 pm

Well, like I said before, the bearings are NOT going to fix your instrument cluster light problems. But you could very well need to them to fix your ABS issues. If you could post the trouble codes here I could assist you better. One thing to keep in mind, sometimes a bearing/speed sensor can be bad, but you can also have wiring harness issues as well. I'd recommend you tell who ever is fixing the vehicle to make sure there is no wiring problems as well.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+