1998 Grand Am Heater Does Not Blow Hot Air

Deanna

1998 Grand Am Heater Does Not Blow Hot Air

Unread post by Deanna » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:30 pm

1998 Pontiac Grand AM GT. Radiator and Fan replaced.
No heat. When it does come out its warm and not hot.

ProTech

Re: 1998 Grand Am Heater Does Not Blow Hot Air

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:48 pm

This could be from a multitude of different problems. The first thing I would recommend checking is to make sure you don't have a big air pocket in the cooling system from when you replaced the radiator. An air pocket will limit the cooling ability and heat producing ability for the heater core since there is air in the system and not coolant. If you feel there is no air pockets, then you could be looking at something like a bad thermostat, a bad water pump, or worse problems such as a bad cylinder head gasket that is letting compression get pumped into the cooling system which is basically like a permanent air pocket and you'll never get heat. Another possibility is a clogged heater core, which you can try to backflush pretty easily and see if that's the problem. You definitely have some more things to check....
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

babycritter

What is this pipe on 3.1L Grand Am

Unread post by babycritter » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:35 pm

what is the name of the pipe by the thermostat that screw into the intake.On a 1996 pontiac grand am 3.1

ProTech

Re: What is this pipe on 3.1L Grand Am

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:04 pm

That is one of the two heater core pipes. It attaches to a rubber heater hose that then attaches to the heater core. The part that screws into the intake is called a coolant nipple.

mom2uof2

2000 grand am v6 air check valve

Unread post by mom2uof2 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:31 pm

My air check valve on my 2000 v6 grand am keeps blowing out we replaced the one on the back of motor then the front one blew smog pump came on and went off is it suppose to stay on all the time when car is running

ProTech

Re: 2000 grand am v6 air check valve

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Actually, you're wrong about that. The pump only comes on for a few seconds at start up, and then again only when it's required by the computer to aid in exhaust emission burn off.

It seems like it's probably working fine right now. The valves you replaced do go out/fail regularly so that is very common to have to change them.

If it's still setting any air system codes, you'd need to get the system looked at and tested.

uptkliff

Re: What is this pipe on 3.1L Grand Am

Unread post by uptkliff » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:01 pm

sorry to post jump but I saw gm tech so I have a 1998 Malibu 3.1 check engine light flashing scanned misfire 6cyl so I changed everything plug,wire,injector,coil pak,and icm and its still flashing to only reading p0306 has anybody heard of this or dealt with this type of problem the engine runs smooth no rattle no knock until cel starts flashing then it runs real rough I really need help