Pontiac Grand Am Wiper Won't Move

Mary

Pontiac Grand Am Wiper Won't Move

Unread post by Mary » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:50 pm

1998 PONTIAC GRAND AM.
Question = PASSENDGER SIDE WINDSHIELD WIPER DOES NOT WORK. ON OCCASION HAS NOW SOMETIMES ACTS LIKE WANTS TO BUT DOESN'T. IS THERE A SEPERATE MOTOR? PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO PROCEED TO FIX THIS, WHERE TO GO? WHAT DOES IT SOUND LIKE TO YOU? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! I SPRAYED DEICER IN CASE IT WAS FROZEN BUT NO ICE ON IT ANYWHERE.

Meccboy

Re: Pontiac Grand Am Wiper Won't Move

Unread post by Meccboy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:55 pm

No, there is not a seperate motor for each side.
Sounds like that arm has just come loose.
At the base of the arm where it attatches under the winshield, there is a nut that holds it on to a stud.
Pop oof the cap, if it has one, then move the wiper arm to the park position- assuming the system is off and the other arm is parked-
Then tighten the nut.
If it was stuck in the ice, the stud turns but the arm did not, and strips out the arm a little. Just tighten it down, and you will be good to go !

Unread post by Guest » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Thanks so much for your help. That worked!!!

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:44 pm

ANOTHER GREAT JOB MECCBOY !!!
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

wildman

Unread post by wildman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:23 pm

This is a common problem, and I have had the wiper come loose again after tightening. A quick fix is to take a small drill bit between the arm and the stud (for lack of a better word). The small groove the bit makes is a nice place to slide a piece of copper wire into. This gives a sheer-pin type connection in case it needs it- and almost guarantees it not to start slipping again. I have had the experience of rolling down the window to "adjust" the wiper because of slippage
Shade-tree mechanic

Did You Find Some Great Help?
Why make a small tip / donation to show your appreciation-
Help Keep Us Free