Pontiac Sunfire Cranks Won't Start

Joe

Pontiac Sunfire Cranks Won't Start

Unread post by Joe » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:52 pm

1997 pontiac sunfire 2.2L.
Anti theft Intermittant
GM Computer codes = crank position sensor circuit malf.
Replace ckp sensor/ignition modual/coils
Wont start hot/ cranks fine but no spark/ if I cycle the key enough times it will eventually start or if i leave it until everything is cold it will start and run fine. I also noticed while inspecpecting that the splash shield over the pcm was missing. I now think the problem may be in the key switch itself any feed back?

JK

Re: Pontiac Sunfire Cranks Won't Start

Unread post by JK » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:53 pm

If you are sure that you have no spark when it won't start, this would not be a theft problem.
The theft system dissables fuel injection.
Codes for crank sensor and no spark may be a broken wire between the crank sensor and the ignition module. I would check those wires very carefully. Pull on them the entire length to see if a wire stretches or breaks.
With the cover missing around the PCM, remove the electrical connectors and look for corrosion in the connectors, or corrosion in the PCM case seams. There was a recall to install ne covers to prevent corrosion- which would cause the PCM to malfuntion. One of those malfunctions is- no start.

wesbritt

Re: Pontiac Sunfire Cranks Won't Start

Unread post by wesbritt » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:16 pm

[quote="JK"]If you are sure that you have no spark when it won't start, this would not be a theft problem.
The theft system dissables fuel injection.
Codes for crank sensor and no spark may be a broken wire between the crank sensor and the ignition module. I would check those wires very carefully. Pull on them the entire length to see if a wire stretches or breaks.
With the cover missing around the PCM, remove the electrical connectors and look for corrosion in the connectors, or corrosion in the PCM case seams. There was a recall to install ne covers to prevent corrosion- which would cause the PCM to malfuntion. One of those malfunctions is- no start.[/quote]