Relieving fuel presure 3.4L Grand Am

hereintop

2004 grand Am Hard starting 2.4L

Unread post by hereintop » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:04 pm

I originally had problems with my engine not starting. My engine will run now, but i still have a problem with starting it. Here is what I have changed so far:
New fuel filter
New fuel pressure regulator
New throttle position sensor

Engine runs great once I get it to start

After I changed the fuel pressure regulator the engine would run

To get it to start I have to turn the key to run position and press on the accelerator pedal

Need help

Freddy

Pontiac Grand Am Hard Starting 2.4

Unread post by Freddy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:46 pm

Could be carbon buildup on the throttle bore. Clean out the carbon real good.
Be sure to check fuel pressure. Should prime the system when turning the key to ON position. If not, may be a bad fuel pump relay or weak fuel pump.
Also, stay with the basics- check the spark plugs for excessive wear. This engine is very sensitive to worn plugs.

protech

Re: Hard starting 2.4

Unread post by protech » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:26 pm

Also make sure the air filter is clean, like Freddy said check the basics, that's always the easiest place to start. I'd check fuel pressure as well, if you had a very clogged fuel filter when you changed it, that usually leads to pump problems and/or low fuel pressure.

Pontiacman

2003 Grand Am Wont Start After Replacing Fuel Regulator

Unread post by Pontiacman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:13 am

2003 Pontiac grand am se 3.4 liter engine we replaced the fuel pressure regulator now it won't start.
Fuel pump kicks on engine cranks but won't start.What could be wrong with it?

ProTech

Re: 2003 Grand Am Wont Start After Replacing Fuel Regulator

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:09 pm

Are you sure you didn't leave something disconnected? I've never actually seen or had a car that would not start after just replacing the fuel pressure regulator.

If you can't find any good reason due to the regulator, it could just be something coincidental. Maybe do a fuel pressure check just to make sure you do in fact have fuel pressure from the pump. Sometimes you can hear it run, but it's actually not doing anything.

I would first recommend going over your previous work and double check everything. After that, you'd have to start from scratch.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

landunderdog

Relieving fuel presure 3.4L Grand Am

Unread post by landunderdog » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Hello, I'm trying to relieve the fuel system so could put on my fuel filter on a 3.4L Pontiac grand am 2000 I tried to take out the fuel pump relay under hood but it will not come out I tried it with some pliers and still hard I don't want to break it. what to do? or is it another way I can relieve the fuel pressure??

ProTech

Re: Relieving fuel presure 3.4L Grand Am

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:56 pm

You actually don't really need to relieve the fuel pressure to change the filter. Only a little bit will come out as you remove the old filter. But, just so you have the information you wanted, you can relieve the fuel pressure by pressing the valve on the test port of the fuel rail. It is located on the fuel injector rail, under the upper plenum. It is on the back bank of cylinders right by the power steering pump. There will be (or should be) a little black cap that you unscrew to access the valve.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+