02' Firebird V6 Overheating

Br1

Unread post by Br1 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:11 pm

I Have A 2002 Pontiac Firebird. One Day Without Warning It Began Overheating. It Doesn't Seem To Be Losing That Much Coolant. I Always Took Time To Pull Over So Not To Drive It While Hot. I Replaced Thermostat, And Checked To Make Sure Fans Were Working Properly. The Car Will Start Up Fine, But Quickly Overheats After Only A Few Miles Of Running. Water Pump Doesn't Appear To Be Leaking From Weaphole. What Else Can I Check?

wildman

Unread post by wildman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:30 pm

You say in the post that it doesn't leak much coolant- can you elaborate on that a little. If you're referring to when it releases because of being hot- OK. But, if you have a leaking system the additives you can buy to stop the leak can actually accumulate in the block and cause over-heating. I have also saw it eat through the freeze-plugs if left long enough.

But if you don't have a leaking system, I would check for obstructions in front of your radiator. Timing problems can cause over-heating too, but without more details it's shooting in the dark.
Shade-tree mechanic

Did You Find Some Great Help?
Why make a small tip / donation to show your appreciation-
Help Keep Us Free

protech

Re: 02' Firebird V6 Overheating

Unread post by protech » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:16 pm

If it overheats quickly after start up, then a restriction probably isn't the cause. You could have a bad head gasket or cracked head/block. If you see bubbles in the coolant in the radiator, then compression from the cylinders is getting into the cooling system. This would cause an overheat situation very quickly. A cylinder leakdown test would tell you as well if you have a problem, but that requires a special tool.

TheU

Re: 02' Firebird V6 Overheating

Unread post by TheU » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:56 pm

There's a little rubber tube towards the top of the block .that's hard to get to. Could be leaking from there. My blew right out one day which is how I even know it was there