97 firebird v6 3800 engine shuts down

Al1977

Issues with a '95 Firebird (3.4 L, Auto Trans.)

Unread post by Al1977 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:57 pm

Upon starting the vehicle, it idles roughly and the engine seems hesitant to fire smoothly and continuously. The vehicle also "runs lean" while being driven, as if it's not getting the amount of fuel that it needs. I fear that it may stall, especially when stopping at a light. Also, the battery seems to drain out pretty rapidly when I let the car be (like it's almost out of juice and won't start the vehicle if left alone for 2 days). The latest symptom is that the car won't let me shift it out of park. I step on the brake, and TRY to press the button on the gear stick to get it to move, but the button won't depress! The brake/tail lights are working though when I step on the brake. Just what the heck is going on with this car?!

I wanted to take it to my local Auto Zone and have the alternator tested, as well as have them check for loose wires and such... but now I can't even get the car to shift out of park! Any insight would be gladly appreciated.

willwildy

Re: Issues with a '95 Firebird (3.4 L, Auto Trans.)

Unread post by willwildy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:52 pm

Sounds to me like your battery not holding a charge when you let the car sit is either some lights staying on (I.E. brake lights, dome light, radio) or just the battery is old. Most likely not your alternator or your car would not stay running and you would get a battery light. Simple alternator check is turn on all the lights and four way flashers then lift the positive cable from the battery. If the car keeps running 99% the alternator is good. Now about a 100 people are going to have strokes when they read this and say that lifting the positive lead will blow up your ECM (engine control module/computer but the fact of the matter is it won't as long as you have a significant load present when you lift the terminal. Hence why I told you to turn on all the lights. They provide the load which allows your voltage regulator to function properly so you won't have an over voltage problem with your ECM.

I need to know how many miles are on it to help with the "run lean" driveability issue.

For the shift out of park there may be a cable that goes from your brake pedal to the center console to keep you from coming out of park without the brake on. It is either done mechanically with a cable or electrically with a switch. Get a haynes manual as it explains this circuit and how to correct it.

Bill
Click here to make a SMALL DONATION to HELP KEEP US FREE

zybergabo

97 firebird v6 3800 engine shuts down

Unread post by zybergabo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:46 pm

I have been struggling with this failure of my 97 3800 firebird. After running it for 20 minutes or so, the engine shuts off. It cranks but It won't turn on untill a couple of minutes.

I replaced the ICM
I cleaned the maf sensor

I know its not the fuel system....it runs very good.

I'm suspecting about the spark plugs and wires but I could be wrong.

Any ideas?

carriedi

Re: 97 firebird v6 3800 engine shuts down

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:50 am

you need to find out what turns off when the engine dies. do you loose spark, fuel pressure, injector pulse, or just a total system shut down. the same reason you think it isn't fuel could be said for spark. it runs fine before it shuts down.

ground for the ICM is a common problem, so are ecms for that year. the bracket that the ICM sits on sometimes has a bad connection to ground so you take off and clean the places where the bracket contacts the engine. You could do a voltage drop test on the ICM bracket to the negative battery post. Crank or cam sensors and/or the wiring to those sensors could give you a stall situation. There is even a possibility that you have a shorting fuel injector. there is a video of that on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41SZexc_ ... Y0wF2o5WUw
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.