98 Firebird Evap test

deb57

98 Firebird Evap test

Unread post by deb57 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:23 pm

I'm having passing smog.Had coil & egr replaced.Shows inc for evap on sog mil status.Guy keeps telling me drive,drive,drive tell it's ready.It's been 3 weeks & 400 miles & he says it's still no ready.Can anyone tell me what can be causing it to keep coming up inc?Can't afford the gas to keep driving around Firebird is a 3.8 v6 (v pain in the ass) Thanks !

ProTech

Re: 98 Firebird Evap test

Unread post by ProTech » Sat May 04, 2013 6:57 pm

If you don't have any trouble codes set, there shouldn't be any issues with all the parameters running and passing. Yes, at times it does take quite a while for everything to run, but it shouldn't take 400 miles. Usually a bit of stop and go driving and then some highway driving will get everything to pass, if there are no other issues. I'd recommend getting it scanned again just to see if any codes are present.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Unread post by Guest » Sun May 05, 2013 6:10 am

Thanks for replying.Now the light came on with the code P0420

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Sun May 05, 2013 2:58 pm

That code is for the catalyst efficiency, which basically means you need a new catalytic converter. Get it replaced, clear the code and then drive again until all evap tests run and pass, then you can take the emissions test again.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+