FIREBIRD HELP!

sanjoel

FIREBIRD HELP!

Unread post by sanjoel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:43 pm

So i got this firebird 97 v6 with 200K but with a replaced good engine. It is extremely intermittent with the issue I have. After driving for so long depending if its 15 or 20 minutes the engine will shut off especially when cruising off the pedal and coming to a stop. Sometimes it does not turn off during certain periods of time. I took it to firestone for engine diagnostics and ignition module check and everything was fine. They drove it for supposedly 30 or 35 minutes and it did not turn off on them. This car has turned off on me 8 or 10 times now. They also supposedly checked the fuel pump for so long. They did find some rust on some of the coil packs that are in the engine. They are not completely sure if its the crankshafter sensor. My semi-mechanic uncle suspects the fuel pump or relay type sensor thing as the issue. I just bought this car as a project so this has been really frustrating when stalled somewhere. I'd really appreciate any help and advice.

Meccboy

Pontiac FIREBIRD HELP!

Unread post by Meccboy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:47 pm

With that many miles on the car, and no check engine light or stored trouble codes to go by, this may be very difficult to fix. It could be a fuel pump going bad. You would need to have a fuel pressure gauge on the engine and watch it as it is acting up to see if the pressure falls too low or down to zero. This could also be something as simple as carbon buildup inside the throttle. Remove the air duct at the throttle and clean out any carbon that is on the plate for the bore. Open the throttle plate and spray carb cleaner inside. Also soak a rag with the cleaner and wipe it out really really good. Remove the idle air control valve and clean it off with the cleaner as well. The idle air control valve has two screws and one electrical connector. Do not push the valve into the housing after it is removed, just clean it off real good.

sanjoel

Re: FIREBIRD HELP!

Unread post by sanjoel » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:30 pm

im not a mechanic or know anything about doing any of the kind of stuff you just said to repair it myself nor have the time. I took this car to a mechanic and they don't know what it is.. I dont know what to do anymore...

Re: FIREBIRD HELP!

Unread post by Guest » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:23 pm

Don't give up. My firebird is . Did you find the cause?doind the exact same thing to me. He's a 97