Pontiac 97 Bonneville Air Flow Troubles

carriedi

Re: Pontiac 97 Bonneville Air Flow Troubles

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:56 am

low fuel pressure from a bad fuel pump works a couple ways. You don't get enough fuel pressure at start up so the engine doesn't start. If you cycle the key a few times before you try to crank the engine (turn on the key so the dash light turn on but don't start the engine) each time you turn the key to the run position the fuel pump should cycle and build up fuel pressure. But if the fuel pressure is low because of a bad pump it will most likely get worse until it leaves you stranded. Won't start again. Sometimes banging on the bottom of the fuel tank will shock a motor to run for a while. Just like banging on a bad starter and having it start to crank the engine over again. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Some fuel pumps will work better when they are cold but when the pump heats up is either slips or binds up and the pressure decreases.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

leonard89

Unread post by leonard89 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:52 pm

Well it seems to be the fuel pump so I am looking for it on ebay and other sites.Could you please tell me which pump would fit ne better and what accessories must go with the pump to have everything tide up?.Thanks

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:32 am

it is recommended that you do a fuel filter when you do a fuel pump. You have to check to see if your fuel pump comes with the strainer. If it doesn't you should get the strainer to go with it. If you get a fuel pump from a reputable parts store it should be ok. Like I said though, ask if it comes with a strainer. Buying it off the internet, who knows what you might get.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

leonard89

Unread post by leonard89 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:26 am

Thank you for your time man.I really appreciate that.I'll let you know how things went after replacing the fuel pump.Than you again