2001 Bonneville SE brake and reverse lights

SVick83

Check Engine, ABS, Traction Control, E-Brake lights stay on.

Unread post by SVick83 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:19 pm

The Freeze plug in my 2000 Benneville SSEi went out. So I disconnected the battery to change it to be safe. When I connected the battery the Check Engine, ABS, Traction Control, E-Brake lights all came on and haven't gone off. The tire pressure monitor, headlights, and wiper blades all stopped working. The headlights only work when it's the Daytime running light. The wipers work when they want to, and my gas mileage dropped drastically. From 25 mpg to 19 highway. What could any of these problems be?

ProTech

Re: Check Engine, ABS, Traction Control, E-Brake lights stay

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:46 pm

You probably shorted something out when disconnecting or reconnecting the battery. This is actually quite common. You could have touched one of the battery cables to ground or power where it should not have touched and then blew something out.

This could be anything from just a fuse that has popped, to a fusible link that has burned up. Since you didn't have this problem before you did the freeze plug, it has to be something you did either during the repair or once you were finished.

I'd recommend rechecking your work, tracing any appropriate wires and checking all fuses, fusible links, relays and maxi fuses.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

StefonRobinson

2001 Bonneville SE brake and reverse lights

Unread post by StefonRobinson » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:20 pm

When I brake the reverse light lights up along with the brake lights. What could that be?

carriedi

Re: 2001 Bonneville SE brake and reverse lights

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:53 pm

wow, that is a weird one. has anyone changed light bulbs or done anything with the wiring? brakes light and reverse light are different systems. Reverse goes through (should go through) neutral safety switch to the PCM then to the rear integration module then to the reverse lamp relay. Comes out on the light green wire to the bulbs. the brake light goes from the stop lamp 15A fuse to the brake switch then white wire at the brake bulbs. Check if you have power at the light green wire to the reverse light when you step on the brake. If you do start check the wiring back from there. Has anyone put a trailer wiring connector on this car? BTW, does putting the car in reverse turn on the reverse lights? And the brake lights too?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.