Caliper or wheel bearing

Grand Prix and Grand Am, Bonneville, Montana and Transport.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Pontiac questions now.
Charles626

Caliper or wheel bearing

Unread post by Charles626 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:46 pm

How I figure out if my caliper or wheel bearing hub is bad? I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3.4L.
Went to change my brakes because the passenger side was starting to grind. Metal to metal. Upon attempting to put everything back together, it just seems like it was a really tight fit. No wiggle room at all. Also should note that I replaced the rotor because it was also worn down. Also had to replace the brake caliper mount as one of the bolts had heat welded and would no longer compress and depress as it should. So brand new brake caliper mount, new rotor, new brake pads. Upon putting everything back together. When I try to spin the wheel it grabs and rubs. I thought maybe it was just the new pads that needed to be broken in. So I started the car and reversed it a couple feet and I could feel and hear it grinding. Could it possibly be the brake caliper? Or is it the wheel bearing hub? Hoping it's the caliper because that is about $120 less to replace. But I am pretty sure it's the wheel bearing.

carriedi

Re: Caliper or wheel bearing

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:48 am

I don't show a 06 G6 with a 3.4L engine. 2.4, 3.5 or 3.9...

Are we talking about the front brakes or the rear brakes?

I don't think it would be the bearing from what you describe. I would think it has to do with the rotor or the caliper. Where did you get you rotor from? did you get the correct rotor? there is more than just one size rotor for you car. There is a 276mm and a 296mm rotor. Check the rotor that you hear the grinding on and see if the edge of the rotor is scraping on the caliper. maybe you needed the shorter rotor and the bigger rotor is scraping on the caliper.

Anyways, check to see what is making the scraping sound first. What is scraping?