Grand Am remote start issue

Grand Prix and Grand Am, Bonneville, Montana and Transport.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Pontiac questions now.
Zachary

Grand Am remote start issue

Unread post by Zachary » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:52 am

i have been having an issue with my 2004 3.4l v6 pontaic grand am. whenever i disconnect the negative battery connection and then reconnect the car starts up without the keys in the ignition and runs till you press the brake and its shuts off?? im just curious on how i can disconnect this odd feature , maybe there is a wire going to the starter or something. Thanks

carriedi

Re: Grand Am remote start issue

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:47 pm

that does sound weird, but I am curious, why are you disconnecting your battery? If this only happens when you disconnect your battery ground connection, that should happen every 5 or 6 years right? Once you replace your battery you shouldn't have to disconnect it until the battery goes dead in 5-6 years...

If it is the remote start feature that is reacting to the battery being disconnected you can try disconnecting the remote starting feature. You can do that through the DIC (driver information center)

PERSONAL PROGRAMMING MODE:This menu allows you to customize several features on your vehicle. These adjustments can only be made while the vehicle is in PARK (P). Press the set/reset button to display the first screen.
Press the options button (the one that has "i" in a circle) to access modes. scroll down until you get to remote start. If your vehicle has the remote start option, you can disable it here.
REMOTE START: If your vehicle has the remote start feature, this screen allows this feature to be turned OFF or ON. The remote start feature allows you to start the engine from outside of the vehicle using your remote keyless entry transmitter. See “Remote Vehicle Start” under Remote Keyless Entry System Operation on page 2-4 of your owners manual for more information. If OFF is selected, the remote start feature will be disabled. If ON is selected, the remote start feature will be enabled. To program this mode, use the following procedure:1. Press the set/reset button to scroll to OFF or ON.2. Press the options button again to advance to the next screen. PROGRAMMING FINISHED will appear on the next screen. This confirms that the personal options programming is complete. DISPLAY OFF will appear on the next screen. The screen will count down and then go blank. Press the options button to advance to a new screen.