Head Gasket Grommets Torque

Grand Prix and Grand Am, Bonneville, Montana and Transport.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Pontiac questions now.

Head Gasket Grommets Torque

Unread post by Guest » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:01 am

Changing heads on 2003 pontiac grand am. The gasket kit comes with grommets for push rods obviously putting new seals is good but it would make me have to remove the base where the bottom portion of push rods sit. I have no problem with this but because I don't know the part name I am unable to find torque specs once I replace grommets and want to install the part that hold the grommets so question is how important is it to replace grommets?

carriedi

Re: Grommets

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:02 am

not sure what you are talking about. the push rods just drop in on top of the lifters. The grommets you are talking about, are they the valve seals? When you buy a head gasket set they usually come with the valve stem seals. If you are replacing the heads you don't need those. the replacement head should have those on it. If you got complete heads. If you get just a bare head (no valves in it) then you would install the new valves and valve stem seals before you install the valve springs and keepers.

the push rods sit on top of the lifters. the lifters sit in holes in the block. There nothing over the lifters that holds grommets in place for the push rods. So, no torque specs.

IT KEY THAT YOU PLACE THE PUSH RODS IN CORRECTLY. INTAKE AND EXHAUST PUSH RODS ARE DIFFERENT LENGTHS. THE EXHAUST PUSH RODS ARE 1/4 INCH LONGER THAN THE INTAKE. iNTAKE =146MM (5.75 IN) AND THE EXHAUST = 152.51MM (6.0 IN).

you might know that already but just in case... I have had cars towed in that did not get them in right and the car doesn't run. If they are lucky they may have bent push rods. If they are not so lucky they have bent valves.

Or I may be mistaken. I don't know of any grommets for the push rods but I don't know everything. At least that's what my family says