Pontiac Grand am GT Coolant leak

Grand Prix and Grand Am, Bonneville, Montana and Transport.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Pontiac questions now.
Jolene

Pontiac Grand am GT Coolant leak

Unread post by Jolene » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:03 am

I have a coolant leak on the passengers side of my 1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT 3.1. I have replaced the intake gaskets and also the water pump but it is still leaking. It leaked just refilling the coolant and not even running. It is leaking on the passengers side from some where above and on the backside of the crankshaft. I also now developed a leak from it seems under the radiator (new leak after putting everything back in except battery)
Where are the coolant elbows located as I have heard they are notorious for cracking. Or could it be the timing chain gaskets, if so how much work am I looking at?
Thank you for your help

carriedi

Re: Coolant leak

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:56 pm

you're going to need to look underneath to see where the coolant leak starts from. Or take it to a shop that can find where the leak is. Pretty sure the coolant elbows are for the 3.8L not the 3.1L. I could be wrong but I don't have one in front of me right now to know for sure. If it does have the elbows that leak, it's in the tensioner housing. I'll add a diagram

Can you borrow a pressure tester from someone? If you can get hold of a cooling system pressure tester then you could locate the leak easier. Some parts stores will let you borrow tools if you leave a deposit.

If it is the timing cover gasket, that's a pretty big job. Labor time is about 6 or so hours for a mechanic in a shop. They recommend you drop the oil pan to do this job. But, verify where the leak is coming from first.

coolant leak under the radiator is going to be something else. check your hose connections and the drain on the bottom of the radiator. I never use the radiator petcock because I have too many that broke when I loosened them. I just put a pan under the lower radiator hose and take the lower hose off of the radiator. Sometimes it may make a mess but I don't have to worry about finding a replacement petcock. And sometimes you can't find one. That means replacing the radiator. I can live with a little coolant spill.

Anyways, see if you can get a pressure tester or have a shop pressure test it for you and tell you where the leak is coming from.
Attachments
elbows.jpg