2001 Grand am vent valve wire

Grand Prix and Grand Am, Bonneville, Montana and Transport.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Pontiac questions now.

2001 Grand am vent valve wire

Unread post by Guest » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:20 pm

I plug my scanner in and gave me 0449. Went under car and realized someone replaced vent valve solonoid. Held up by small zip tie. The valve part was broke off and wires from solonoid looked as if they went when valve went. Where do they go to. I see a 3 plug assembly. One had no wires so am I correct to think of goes there? I connected test light and tried across prongs and to ground from that plug. No light. Ideas?

carriedi

Re: 2001 Grand am vent valve wire

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:53 am

according to the wiring diagram and the picture of the vent valve connector, it is a two wire connector. It should have a brown wire that has power from the "ERLS" 10A fuse in the underhood fuse box. That wire should have power when the key is in run. The other wire should be a white wire that goes to the computer. The computer grounds the circuit. So, when the computer doesn't ground the circuit there won't be any electrical flow to measure with a test light. If you ground your test light and then check the brown wire for power when the key is on, you should show power. If there isn't power there the fuse may have blown when the wires broke.

From what you have described, I don't know if you are talking about the vent valve. Do you have the wires at the wire harness? You said the wires went when the valve went. So what three wire connector are you talking about? Did you get a new valve and it has a three wire connector? Did you find a three wire connector from the wire harness and it's not hooked up to anything? If it is a wire harness connector, what color are the wires? If you are talking about a three wire connector on a part, can you get a good picture of the part so I can see what you are talking about?

If the vent valve part is broken off and the wires went with it, what connector are you talking about? If the wires broke off when the valve broke off there should still be some wires somewhere from the harness. Can you find the broken wires for the vent valve? Should be a brown wire and a white wire.
Attachments
vent valve.jpg
vent valve electrical connector.jpg
vent valve electrical connector.jpg (12.28 KiB) Viewed 19257 times