2000 Pontiac Aztek hard shifting

Grand Prix and Grand Am, Bonneville, Montana and Transport.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Pontiac questions now.
JohnP

2000 Pontiac Aztek hard shifting

Unread post by JohnP » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:54 pm

2003 pontiak aztek, i have replaced sensor for speedo due to fluctuations but the trans shifts hard or not at all until the vehicle is warmed up after 5 - 10 km. the "service vicle" indicator also comes on periodically. i have read elsewhere that the vehicle speed sensor may be defective.

ProTech

Re: 2000 Pontiac Aztek hard shifting

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm

I'd recommend first to get the vehicle scanned to see what codes are there. That will probably tell you exactly what is going on.

I doubt you have a faulty vehicle speed senor, because if it was bad, it would be bad all the time and the problem would not go away once it gets warmed up.

You probably have an internal transmission problem causing the hard shifting. This type of problem can go away once the trans gets warmed up. A technician can usually diagnose this type of problem easily once he takes it on a test drive or scans it.

Take a quick look at the transmission fluid dipstick, if the fluid is dark or smells burned that is a tell-tale sign of a problem. Usually you will be looking at needing a complete transmission overhaul, or replacement.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+