96 pontiac sunfire anti theft switch

Grand Prix and Grand Am, Bonneville, Montana and Transport.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Pontiac questions now.
stradley

96 pontiac sunfire anti theft switch

Unread post by stradley » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:30 am

have 96 sunfire ,,,,car starts but only runs for 15 to 30 seconds and the anti theft light comes on ,car shuts itself off how do i by pass this switch or reprogram it
? this has been very frustrating and i need my car back.....

ProTech

Re: 96 pontiac sunfire anti theft switch

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:13 pm

We cannot recommend bypassing the factory theft deterrent on this forum. I can tell you how to fix it, though. You most likely have an ignition lock cylinder problem, where the Passlock sensor has an issue. Usually replacing the cylinder will correct the problem.

Sometimes though, it can be a faulty instrument cluster. The theft deterrent system does run through the cluster and if there is a problem with that, it can cause the same problems. Either way, a component would need replaced.

You might want to try a re-learn procedure just to get your car by in the meantime. When it is acting up, attempt to start the vehicle and then after it dies out leave the key on for about 10 minutes or until the security light goes out. Then turn the key off, wait 10 seconds and then start the car. That sometimes will re-learn the theft deterrent and will get you by for a short period, but the problem will come back since it's an actual part that has an issue.

You might want to get the system scanned to see if there are any codes, as that will tell you if it's the cylinder or cluster.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+