97 Buick Skylark 3.1 crank no start

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
Joelb0501

97 Buick Skylark 3.1 crank no start

Unread post by Joelb0501 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:19 am

It stalled at a stop sign. Hasn't restarted since. I have replaced crank and cam sensors, iad,throttle position sensors, both O2 sensors, plugs, wires, coil pack, ignition module, lock cylinder,ignition switch, fuel pressure regulator. I have tried the 10 min relearn, the 30 min relearn. Has spark and fuel. Checked all fuses and relays. The security light is on steady 100% of the time won't go off

carriedi

Re: 97 Buick Skylark 3.1 crank no start

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:32 am

you should check out the security light. it looks like the passlock is not seeing your key. If there is a problem with the passlock module seeing the key it will not do a re-learn.

A tech2 scanner can look at the passlock and see the voltage that's coming back from the key is going to work or allow a re-learn. If the voltage is wrong, the passlock won't do anything but turn off the fuel injectors to disable the engine. the scanner can view trouble codes for the passlock system.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Joelb0501

Unread post by Joelb0501 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:01 am

If that is the ussue,shouldn't the car start with a shot of starter fluid? Because it doesn't. The only time I can get it to even try and start is with the accelerator in WOT positon

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:08 am

yes, if the fuel injectors are shut off the engine should start with external fuel added to the intake. A shot of starting fluid may not be quite enough to get the engine running ( I don't know how much you used) but you should use carb cleaner rather than starting fluid.

But, if the security light stays on, that means the security system doesn't see the key it's looking for and will shut the fuel down. I am not there to see what is happening. I can only go by the information you write.

On a no start there are some basic things to check for.

fuel pressure. you have to measure the fuel pressure with some sort of gauge. fuel pressure should be 41 t0 47 psi. you can't tell if it's 15 psi or 50 psi unless you use some sort of gauge.

check for spark while cranking

check for injector pulse while cranking. you can check the injector by unplugging one and use an incandescent test light so that it is hooked up to test the two wires that go the the injector wire harness plug. It should flash as you crank the engine. (once per engine cycle)

WOT on start up shuts off the fuel injectors. If it seems like the engine wants to start with the throttle open all the way then maybe the engine is flooded. Pull a spark plug out and see if it's wet with gas. If the engine is flooded check the fuel pressure regulator. Sometimes the regulator diaphragm will leak and pump fuel up the vacuum line into the intake.

Joelb0501

Unread post by Joelb0501 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:33 pm

Ok thanks I will check for injector pulse. I just replaced the fuel pressure regulator. And I have checked all 6 towers for spark. Blue spark in all. I'll have to rent a fuel pressure guage to check same. I do hear the pump prime but haven't checked filter or pressure.

Joelb0501

Unread post by Joelb0501 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:55 pm

Haven't been able to work on the car it's been in the single digits all week here. I did have a friend tell me about a door lock procedure to maybe reset the security system. By unlocking it with the power locks getting out shutting the door locking it with the key unlocking and locking it and unlocking it again does that work with a 97 Skylark I know some Malibu's it does

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:25 am

locking and unlocking the doors is to turn off the alarm if it has gone off. To reset the key (relearn) you have to try and start the car and then leave the key in the run position for ten minutes or until the security light goes off. If the wiring to the lock is good the module will relearn the key lock resistance. it may take up to three times for the relearn to completely reset but most of the time it will go after one try.

Joelb0501

Unread post by Joelb0501 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:42 am

I have done about 4 hours worth of the relearn procedure with no success security light stays on solid not blinking

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:00 pm

a relearn will only work if the system is functional. if you have a component that is not allowing the key signal to work it won't relearn. that's why a tech2 scanner is really good. it will allow a person to see what signal is getting back to the module.