2000 Buick Park Avenue overheats and leaks

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
joeyb1

2000 Buick Park Avenue overheats and leaks

Unread post by joeyb1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:36 pm

My 2000 Buick Park Avenue 3800 V6 over heated and shut off on the highway. I didnt try to start it i also had a leak in the radiator so i changed the thermostat and had to change the radiator, now it wont start. It cranks but wont start.

I got it started now its blowing white smoke out the exhaust and looks like the motor is steaming.
What should i do please. 2000 Buick park avenue.

ProTech

Re: 2000 Buick Park Avenue overheats and leaks

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Well, sorry to say the white smoke is a very bad sign. You probably cooked the engine when it overheated and now it's too late. A blown head gasket, warped cylinder head, cracked head or block can all result from a bad overheating condition.

Even if you think it didn't overheat too much, it can still be detrimental to an engine. I sure wouldn't recommend running it too long in this condition as you'll just make things worse. At the very least you have a blown head gasket on one or both cylinder heads. This alone would require the top half of the engine to be torn down and fixed. During this time, the heads should be checked for cracks and/or warpage with a straight edge.

Worst case scenario, you would need an entire new engine to be put in the car. You may have to decide if this vehicle is worth putting that amount of work and money into. I would not recommend trying to go the short route and get by with minimal repairs, because that will come back to haunt you for sure. Either get it fixed right, or don't fix it at all.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Buick2002PA

Unread post by Buick2002PA » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:17 am

Just wondering what the outcome of this was?? Sounds like my 2002 Buick PA just did the same thing today..however,I haven't had any overheating/radiator issues before..it started idling funny at the stop light,then we went to get on the freeway and the check engine light came on,it blew a cloud of white smoke (then it didnt smoke anymore) and then the temp gauge went all the way to the red H and I pulled over and had the tow truck come.Another funny thing I had noticed it was doing was sometimes when it went to shift,it would shift hard..not everytime I drove,but mainly when I drove up and down hills..I looked that up and it said something about a PCP sensor in the transmission??Any advice/help would be awesome!!It's sitting at the car dealership where I'm buying the car from..they're gonna have the mechanic look and see if it can be fixed,so if I can contribute any help,I will.Thanks a milion!!

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:52 pm

Buick2002PA wrote:Just wondering what the outcome of this was?? Sounds like my 2002 Buick PA just did the same thing today..however,I haven't had any overheating/radiator issues before..it started idling funny at the stop light,then we went to get on the freeway and the check engine light came on,it blew a cloud of white smoke (then it didnt smoke anymore) and then the temp gauge went all the way to the red H and I pulled over and had the tow truck come.Another funny thing I had noticed it was doing was sometimes when it went to shift,it would shift hard..not everytime I drove,but mainly when I drove up and down hills..I looked that up and it said something about a PCP sensor in the transmission??Any advice/help would be awesome!!It's sitting at the car dealership where I'm buying the car from..they're gonna have the mechanic look and see if it can be fixed,so if I can contribute any help,I will.Thanks a milion!!
Sounds like you may have a leaking intake manifold gasket or the ma manifold itself is cracked. These are very common on the 3800 engine.

As for the transmission, yes, this could be the Pressure Control Solenoid. A scan of the codes for the engine light would tell us if that is the problem.

Buick2002PA

Unread post by Buick2002PA » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:12 pm

My dealer where we were buying the car from didn't even pop the hood or anything and is trying to tell me I fried my engine..I may not be car savvy but I know for a fact I didn't fry my engine..so we just gave the car back,and when they try taking us to court,I have all the receipts from the very first week I had that car showing we had to pay a grand in repairs right off the lot.within a week of me getting that car,the MAF had to be replace and who knows what else was going on.Not worth my time though if it's a lemon car.I went to that dealer in trust because he knew I constantly had my 1990 Honda Accord in the shop,and I needed something that needed no to minimal repairs needed.UGH..Oh well,he can have fun with that thing!!Thanks for your help though,I appreciate it!!