2005 Rendezvous 3.4L stalling problems

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
Ron Rendezvous

2005 Rendezvous Traction Control

Unread post by Ron Rendezvous » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:41 am

2005 Buick Rendezvous 195,000 miles. Traction Control system is engaging frequently. Road surface, speed, braking or not doesn't matter. Sometimes just getting in or out of the car when running in park causes the "moan" of the traction control. There is a switch for Trac Off I can engage. that turns on a light on dash signifying traction off, but I still frequently get the traction control sound and feel.

By the way, speedometer completely dead now, needle never moves. Fuel gauge completely wrong. Temp guage sometimes wrong, doesn't return to cold when car parked (overnight) then after starting, as it heats up it adds yesterdays temp :D . The RPM guage has only failed to work twice, which is good cause I know 2000 RPM is 70 MPH. LOL

protech

Re: 2005 Rendezvous Traction Control

Unread post by protech » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:16 pm

You probably have a loose or rubbing wiring harness at or near one of the wheel speed sensors. Since it will do it in park, I would say that a bad hub bearing is probably not the cause here, but those usually do go bad on your vehicle type. You will have to remove the wheels and inspect the wiring from the sensor, along the control arms and up into the body. Look for chaffing, broken wires, or other areas that might be touching metal. As for the erratic action of the gauges, the usual cause is a faulty instrument cluster. That would need to purchased and installed through a GM dealer, as it needs to be programmed to your vehicle.

nealdmu

2005 Rendezvous 3.4L stalling problems

Unread post by nealdmu » Sat May 11, 2013 3:53 pm

I have replaced both O2 sensors, as well as the spark plugs, and wires on my 2005 Buick Rendezvous with the 3.4L engine, and, although it seems to run better, it is still exhibiting similar symptoms ( stalling around a right, or left turn) I also checked the fuel regulator, and it is not leaking.
I have never had it on the scanner that you described, which might be what I need to do. We are working in my garage, with limited diagnosing equipment.
What about the other sensors ( crankshaft position sensor?- what might be the procedure for testing it??
Any other recommendations before I bring it to the dealer, or other more costly diagnosing shops?

ProTech

Re: 2005 Rendezvous 3.4L stalling problems

Unread post by ProTech » Sat May 11, 2013 5:40 pm

If it's only stalling out on turns, then it could be moving something that is causing your issue (i.e. pinching a wire, pulling on a harness, etc). Try pulling on the engine harness in different spots as the vehicle is running to see if it acts up. If it does you should be able to pinpoint the problem area fairly easily. Have a person in the vehicle and brake torque it to add movement to the engine and see if happens then as well. Try in drive and reverse.

Otherwise, you're really going to need a scanner to do any further diagnosis. It's not really expensive to have your car checked out by an expert, basically you pay for one hour of labor. That is money well spent if you can't find the problem and just are wasting money on parts you don't need. Even if you don't have the repair shop do the work, you'd still know what is wrong so you can fix it.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+