2005 Buick Rendezvous Gauge Cluster Issues

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
rdzowner

2005 Buick Rendezvous Gauge Cluster Issues

Unread post by rdzowner » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:15 pm

I have a 2005 Buick Rendezvous that has essentially shut down on me. It started with the fuel gauge not working sometimes when it was started I could live with that but it has turned into way more. Now you can sometimes (if it starts) start it and the gauge cluster does not respond at all (gauge movement or lights) radio will not work or does and has a back feed through the speakers if it comes on at all and interior lights do not come on. It will also take out the brake lights and not allow the windows to operate. Then there are times that everything works fine like its supposed to (rare but does happen from time to time). Most of the time when everything does work the battery light stays on (alt is charging) along with service engine but when you do a code scan it brings back nothing. I used to be able to pull the ecm fuse or pull the battery cable and everything would work mostly and if it didn't I could play with the blower motor switch on the ac and things would come back on. Also when the gauges are not acting right my right turn signal indicator is dim but is showing on (power back feed im guessing) Now I have read about the stepper motors going bad in the cluster but what in the cluster if anything is causing issue with the radio, head\tailights, interior lights? any feedback would be appreciated, I am mechanically incline but not sure how the gauge cluster is tied into all these systems or if i have more then one problem. Thanks again for your help.

MeccBoy

Re: Gauge Cluster Issues

Unread post by MeccBoy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:40 am

Although these things themselves can be problems in their own system- fuel gauge level sensor problem, dash needle stepper motor problem, window switch problem for a particular door, a scanner that cannot communicate with the newer GM onboard diagnostics- since you need a CanDi module- since the vehicle has local area network architecture- which older cheap scanners dont do- so no codes come up.....
But all of these things may have 1 or 2 things in common- (dont have time to search every schematic of every system)... A bad ignition switch or Body Control Module (BCM).

rdzowner

Unread post by rdzowner » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:03 am

Anyway to diagnose either? Whats The BCM's purpose? Thanks for your input.

MeccBoy

Unread post by MeccBoy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:33 pm

BCM controls some of the gauges and the theft system, which may be your no start problem.
To start you need a scanner to check all modules codes. You can test ignition switch by taking voltage readings in the affected circuits - systems, or tap on it to see if these things act up.