2000 Buick Century motor oil question

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
Century

2000 Buick Century motor oil question

Unread post by Century » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:23 pm

I did purchase the 2000 Buick Century Limited! Love it! I am amazed at the condition (even before I did a complete interior carpet clean, etc./leather clean/buff, AND exterior machine buff and poly seal. The car feels like it has 20, 000 miles, not 79,000. Super clean under body too! Loaded to the max, I'm calling it a "baby Cadillac!"

With that said, I'd welcome advice on changing the oil. I've been told that "Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30" would be the best choice for this Buick. Please tell me your opinions. All very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott

Stannllee

Buick Century - A motor oil question

Unread post by Stannllee » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:51 pm

A synthetic oil is not really necessary. I have worked on many GM vehicles that have had only conventional motor oil and they have lasted for years and years and over 200,000 miles. It all depends on how well the car's been take care of. Has all the maintenance then done, have any repairs that were needed been done in a timely manner to prevent causing further problems. If you do want to use synthetic motor oil, then that mobile one high mileage would be your best choice.

wildman

Re: Purchased the car; A motor oil question

Unread post by wildman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:38 am

I will add that when winter is over you probably need to watch the oil pressure. Winter thickens the oil, but when the motor is hot or the weather stays warm you may notice the pressure and need to run a little thicker oil. This is because the pressure is made by forcing it through the engine components- but over time wear increases the passages. I don't suggest running 20w50 because it can actually strain the oil pump, but from my experience the harder run vehicles show less pressure.

And synthetic oil is nice- if you want to pay the price, but not necessary. Much of the oil you buy have the same additives and such as the synthetic. I have only run it once- only because the dodge smoked a little and I was tired of seeing it.
Shade-tree mechanic

Did You Find Some Great Help?
Why make a small tip / donation to show your appreciation-
Help Keep Us Free