Before I buy: Question Re: 2000 Buick Intake Manifold

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
Century

Before I buy: Question Re: 2000 Buick Intake Manifold

Unread post by Century » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:31 am

Greetings!

I am about to purchase a 2000 Buick Century Limited with the 3.1L V6 engine with 79,000 miles. Is there any way to tell if the intake manifold gaskets have already been replaced? If not, what are the chances that I'll encounter a failure? Anything to prevent failure? What would be the approx. cost to replace intake manifold gaskets? This information or any other information related to this car would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Scott

MeccBoy

Re: Before I buy: Question Re: 2000 Buick Intake Manifold

Unread post by MeccBoy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:01 pm

No good way to tell if they have been replaced for someone who has not worked on these cars for years. You could look at the corners of the lower intake manifold to see if they are leaking. Look closely at the bolts heads for the upper and lower intake to see if they show signs that a socket has been on them- which would indicate the manifold had been removed. Take the oil fill cap off and see if the underside of the cap or the inside of the valve cover has a "milkshake" residue on them would indicate the gasket is currently leaking.
Approximate cost depends on the repair shop. At the dealer, expect to pay $700-$800.
A local repair shop would save you maybe $150 just because the labor cost is lower.

Century

Unread post by Century » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:54 am

Thanks for the info!

Century

Unread post by Century » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:01 am

Got the car. It's in amazing condition! No leaks that I can tell. Would like to use Mobil One Synthetic 5w30 High Mileage formula. Any thoughts?

Thanks