1988 Buick Electra Park Avenue Running Bad

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
Henry

1988 Buick Electra Park Avenue Running Bad

Unread post by Henry » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:54 pm

Problem with my 1988 Buick Electra Park Avenue 3.8L v6
My check engine light is on.
I dont know that the codes are There was no repair that i know of that caused the condition, it was my grand fathers and he only drove it 5 miles to work a day.
I put a new egr valve, removed the catalytic converter, and put a new muffler on the car. My problem is that my exhaust manifolds are becoming red hot, i thought the catalytic converter and muffler were plugged, and then replaced the egr valve. After this i took it for a ride and they were still glowing so i am out of ideas.

Tom

Re: Henry

Unread post by Tom » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:54 pm

The reason the exhaust is glowing red hot, is that there is unburned fuel in the exhaust. This is caused by a very rich condition.You may have a leaking fuel pressure regulator, or a stuck open injector.You can try to tap on the injectors to see if you can free one up. It would cause that cylinder to misfire badly.If it were the pressure regulator, the vacuum line would be full of gas and cause several cylinders to misfire

mdjmorrison

93 buick roadmaster limited

Unread post by mdjmorrison » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:29 pm

93 buick roadmaster limited, did tune up, plugs wires cap rotor. set timing. changed leaking oil pressure sensor. now car will not start without use of starter fluid and keeping rpms above 1500to 2000. also put in new fuel pump/screen, filter, tps sensor, injectors and full gasket kit for tbi... also new coil pack, fuel pressure regulator.. car still as stated above. please help!! Sincerely (Oh about the codes.. had a 23 and replaced tps sensor now no code shows and car still same as above...

ProTech

Re: 93 buick roadmaster limited

Unread post by ProTech » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Has to be something you did, or didn't do right. I'd recommend rechecking your work and the parts you installed. If you used an aftermarket fuel pump, I'd say get a GM unit.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+