Running tail light troubleshooting Park Avenue 92

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
pastor.mikewilson

I need some advice concerning my car

Unread post by pastor.mikewilson » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:37 pm

I have a 2000 Buick Park that i recently purchased from a used car lot. it seemed to be fine
this past saturday june 19th i went out to start it to go somewhere and it wouldnt start, it acted as if the battery was dead, I would turn the key it would click but wouldn't start. I had a new battery put in when i got the car, At first i was thinking that it was the bendix in the starter. but i turned on the lights and it appeared to bright
and not dimmed, so this tells me that there's no drain on the battery therefore it cant be the starter. so i placed
the gearshift in to the nuetrel position and the car started. I think that its safe to say that it might be the neutrel
safety switch but I'm Not entirlry sure what's going on. can you point me in the right direction to fix my car

Meccboy

Re: I need some advice concerning my car

Unread post by Meccboy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:37 pm

First off, the lights not getting dim is not a good test of a starter. If the solenoid (bendix) was bad, power would not get to the starter motor. The motor is what causes then draw on the lights.
Check to make sure the battery cables are tight. Sometimes when people replace a battery, they do not tighten the cables enough.
If it were te neutral safety switch, there would not be a click at all- that is, from the starter. Are you sure it was the starter clicking, of maybe one of the many relays and switches that cause a lighter click?
I would lean more to the starter if it was a starter clicking, then later it started.

wildman

Re: I need some advice concerning my car

Unread post by wildman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:28 pm

The clicking could, and most likely was the starter, and I would have it checked/replaced. Switching it into neutral, especially if sitting on a hill or in a bind, could have jarred the starter enough to make enough connection to work. I have been guilty in the past to carry a bar because the old and crotchety starter was stubborn sometimes. Not really sure if it was the oil bath or age now- but apparently either the electrical contacts or gunk in the actuator was temporarily fixed with some minor jarring.
If the neutral switch was the problem, there would be no current sent to the starter and thus- no noise.
Shade-tree mechanic

Did You Find Some Great Help?
Why make a small tip / donation to show your appreciation-
Help Keep Us Free

Parkaveniste

Park Avenue Won't start- taillight problems

Unread post by Parkaveniste » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:45 am

The right tail light doesn't work on my 92 Park Avenue (but works with stop lights) No tension to the bulb and I don't know where to locate the lights fuses.

BobO

Re: Running tail light troubleshooting Park Avenue 92

Unread post by BobO » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 pm

If there is no tension on the bulb then that would mean the socket is bad. If it is just the right taillight then it would not be a fuse problem. A blown fuse would cause both sides to not work. You need to check for power with a test light on the wires going into the back of the socket to see if they get hot when you turn the lights on. One wire should get hot with taillights and a different wire would be hot when pressing the brake pedal.