98 Lesabre engine light blinking

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
korusgirl

98 Lesabre engine light blinking

Unread post by korusgirl » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:31 pm

Plenum replalced almost two years ago by neighbor. Took it on long drive afterwards and it had a very small misfire when driving it I could feel it. I let the car sit for almost two years and just recently had my mechanic look at it. He had to replace brake lines and fuel lines and fuel filter. He is not the person who did the plenum repair. btw, because of previous history with an olds I knew about the white smoke and dexcool and shut car off the first time I saw it and there did not appear to be much damage other than the plenum so the neighbor said.
My mechanic said the engine sounded fine and he took it for a ride. I picked it up two weeks ago and am having terrible gas mileage and smelling pure gasoline when I start the car and back into it. Engine lgt. is on. Sometimes blinking. Drives good. slight misfire when in D,R but not in P OR N. My mechanic is on vacation. I am a female. Ok, lol, what could be the problem. Thanks guys, so much.

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: 98 Lesabre engine light blinking

Unread post by butchkaz » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:21 pm

An engine light blinking means that the computer has detected an engine misfire that is bad enough to cause possible catalytic converter damage. This is a federal law requirement for emissions.

By what you describe, it sounds like the "Fuel pressure regulator" is leaking gas. When they leak, gas goes into the vacuum line and cause a very rich condition, hard starting, running rough and engine misfire. It is not an external leak that would cause a fire, but it needs to be checked.

Here is a link to the 3800 engine fuel pressure regulator description and location.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

korusgirl

Unread post by korusgirl » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:43 am

I have to say I am soooooo impressed with this site. First time on here and i looked around. IT is a spectacular site with diagrams of engines and all. You mechanics are soooooooo smart.
I definitely will follow up on the fuel sensor issue with my mechanic next week Butch. I usually don't drive much, but since I wrote my first post, I did go on 2 trips about 120mi each in the last few days and noticed the very low misfire I was hearing the last couple of weeks, got much louder now. I'm thinking when that plenum was replaced I probably did have other damage. OMG.... I can't believe it probably now it's cylinders or blown engine. Is that a possibility causing the gas smell and low fuel miles too?

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:21 pm

The same the misfire is getting louder?
If by saying the plenum was replaced, you mean the intake gaskets were replaced, then another possibility is that one or more of the rocker arm bolts has come loose. This is only on the 3.4L engine, not the 3,8L engine. I have seen this many times. This will cause an engine misfire, rattle/ticking noise and can cause a gas smell and poor economy.

But, check the fuel pressure regulator first.

Let us know if your car has the 3.4L or 3.8L engine.

Keep us up to date on this problem in your Buick.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

korusgirl

Unread post by korusgirl » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:51 am

It's a 3.8 engine and all I know was the neighbor replaced a plenum and spark plugs. He did say everything else looked fine. As I mentioned I had the antifreeze ruin a 3.8 in an olds I had so as soon as I saw and smelled the white smoke, I immediately stopped using it. I sure hope it was soon enough. Mechanic is back from 3 wk. vaction today. I should get to see him soon. Let you know what he says.