Chevy Cavalier DRL lights not working

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
Billy33

Chevy Cavalier DRL lights not working

Unread post by Billy33 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:46 pm

When I put my Cavalier into drive gear, the dash indicator for my DRL flashes a few times then and then daytime running Lights go out. My service vehicle light is also on the dashboard. It is not the service engine light, the one with the wrench symbol on it. The low and high beams work fine when it turn them on manualy.

I have tried changing the bulbs with one from the dealer, but that is not the problem. Is there a wiring problem or relay or something that went bad. Thank you.

ProTech

Re: Chevy Cavalier DRL lights not working

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:14 pm

There is a DRL relay that is attached to the forward lamp harness, right about in the middle of the front bumper. That could possibly be a failed part, but a really common problem with headlight issues on the Cavalier's is the actually wiring harness. There are a bunch of splice packs along the forward lamp harness, and what happens is that they get moisture in them over the years and start to corrode. Usually once you finally notice a headlamp or DRL issue, it's far too late and you have multiple spots in the harness that are bad. I can't tell you how many of these I've had to replace over the years due to this issue.

So, you might want to start by replacing the DRL relay since it's cheap and easy to do. If that doesn't help your problem you will more than likely be replacing the entire forward lamp harness. It's usually not worth the time or effort to try and fix all the bad spots in the wires.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

jeanne

Re: Chevy Cavalier DRL lights not working

Unread post by jeanne » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:31 pm

U have a headlightI out