1999 grand am, antifreeze in rocker, not engine

djankowski2

1999 grand am, antifreeze in rocker, not engine

Unread post by djankowski2 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:12 am

I have a question, My son has a 1999 grand am, 3.4. Antifreeze in rocker cover, not engine. Is it the air intake gasket that needs to be replaced? If so, is it 7 bolts on top of engine? I am somewhat mechanically inclined.

TerryAuto

Re: 1999 grand am, antifreeze in rocker, not engine

Unread post by TerryAuto » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:50 pm

The most common cause is the intake manifold gaskets leaking.

We have also had many problems with the 3.4L rear headgasket leaking. This will usually cause overheating and air pockets in the coolant, but not normally contamination in the oil or valve cover, but it can.

See these pictures of 3400 cylinder head removal. Be sure to read the whole article, and pictures on page 2.

There are a lot more than 7 bolts on the top of the engine to remove the intake manifold. The bolts you are talking about sound like the upper intake plenum. And this is not just removing of 7 bolt either. It is quite a big job for anyone who is not a mechanic by trade.

Please see this Picture of 3.4L intake manifold removed with pushrod location and rocker arm torque..

MrKumandGo

2002 Pontiac Grand Am leaking steering fluid

Unread post by MrKumandGo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:00 pm

I saw steering fluid is leaking from a seal under the boot, which covers the connection point to the shaft that eventually goes to the steering wheel. Do I have to replace the whole rack or can I just replace the seal? If I can just replace the seal, is it easier to take the rack out or can I replace the seal with the rack in?
Thanks

ProTech

Re: 2002 Pontiac Grand Am leaking steering fluid

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:06 pm

That area is usually not serviceable on a steering rack, at least by the regular consumer. If it's leaking at the top where the intermediate steering shaft attaches, you've more than likely worn out more than just the seal. There are bearings and other non-service parts inside the top 'hat' of the rack.

Your best best is to replace the entire steering rack. You can get re-manufactured units at a fair price.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+