Can you tell me what this is? Oldsmobile Alero

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
tearls5

Can you tell me what this is? Oldsmobile Alero

Unread post by tearls5 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:27 am

IMAG2238 (620x332) - Copy.jpg
IMAG2238 (620x332) - Copy.jpg (133.6 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
My son put his 2000 Cavalier in the ditch last night. He was going very slow, but there is a frozen ridge in the ditch. It was very foggy and our gravel road is mush right now that sucked him right off the road when he got too close to the edge. We found this part when we pulled the car out. The car seems to drive fine, but we only drove it maybe 1/8th mile to the driveway. The "check gages" light is on. What do you think? Get it towed to a garage or ok to drive it about 5 miles? I really appreciate any help

tearls5

Re: Can you tell me what this is?

Unread post by tearls5 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:34 pm

After looking online, I went out and discovered that it is the line that goes from the gas cap. When you open the gas cap door, it is just a nice hole with nothing there. My only hope is that it can be put back on easily.... Any idea how big of job and how expensive?

TerryAuto

Re: Can you tell me what this is?

Unread post by TerryAuto » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:32 pm

If the large part of the line on the left side of this picture is the the part that the gas cap screws onto, then this is called the "Fuel filler neck".

You should just be able to re-attach it to the gas door opening and then to the fuel tank. Unless it is bent and is going to leak, or the neck of the gas tank is broke off where the other end goes. Is that is case, you are going to need a new gas tank.

This tube does look in pretty bad shape.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.