Chevy Cruze - noisy transmission bearing?

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
kcates

Chevy Cruze - noisy transmission bearing?

Unread post by kcates » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:06 pm

I have a 2013 Chevy Cruze making a scraping noise coming from the vicinity of the manual transmission. I've heard a bad throw out bearing before. This sounds very similar. The difference is depressing the clutch doesn't help. The car must be in motion. It doesn't happen when stopped. I also don't hear it in reverse. Thoughts?

carriedi

Re: Chevy Cruze - noisy transmission bearing?

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:23 am

if it doesn't make the noise clutch in or out at a stop then the input bearing should be good. The input bearing is spinning when you have the clutch out while at a stop.

what speed is the noise present? is it in every gear? I know you said it's not in reverse but is that because you are moving at a slower speed? Reverse uses the same shafts as 3 and 4

you should take your vehicle to a shop that knows manual trans. have them check to see if it is a trans problem of maybe and axle bearing noise. or maybe even a noise transferred to the frame because of a bad mount somewhere

you might have to have the vehicle on a lift and then put in gear to see if the noise is still there while the wheels are spinning up in the air. See if the noise comes from the trans or the differential side. see if the noise is being transferred from the axle bearings or maybe even the brakes.

It's very hard to diag a noise without hearing it or not being to feel it.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Re: Chevy Cruze - noisy transmission bearing?

Unread post by Guest » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Thanks for the advice. It turned out to be the transmission. Fortunately, it was covered under the power-train warranty. The dealership replaced it.