Brake lights and Taillights in 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix

anthonycincy81

Brake lights and Taillights in 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix

Unread post by anthonycincy81 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:32 am

I turn my car on and the taillights are on, checked continuity, fuses and bulbs. All working. Turn signals works and back up lights works. Been told it could be a brake switch underneath the brake pad or a relay switch. I don't want to buy something that wont even fix the problem so that's why i'm on here so i could get a professional opinion
Need a reply asap please.
(2001 Pontiac Grand Prix SE)

ProTech

Re: Brake lights and Taillights in 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:34 pm

By 'taillights' I will assume you mean 'brake lights'. Yes, more than likely the brake switch is bad or shorted out. You can try to disconnect it and see if the brake lights go out and then you would know that's your problem.

Otherwise, it could be a wiring problem somewhere along the line, or even a bad body control module. Either of those would require some tracing of circuits and/or more detailed diagnosis.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

anthonycincy81

Unread post by anthonycincy81 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:57 pm

I bought a new brake light switch and that did not resolve the problem still, it's very weird because when i apply pressure to my brakes its like the connected wires down there are not getting a signal. My third brake light (inside windshield) still works besides the other 2. I would take it to the shop but i don't want to pay $75 just for someone to look at it.

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Well, now you're looking at having to get into a bit more detailed diagnosis. I would highly recommend getting your hands on a schematic or repair manual that has electronics information. If you're absolutely sure the bulbs check ok, and there are no blown fuses, that only leaves a wiring problem or control module as the failed part.

If you're familiar with wiring, trace the entire circuit from the brake switch all the way back to the trunk area and see if it pinched, or shorted somewhere. It still could be a bad body control module as well. This would only be able to be diagnosed by a dealer, so you may end up paying anyway. A new BCM would have to be programmed to your car and can only be done at a GM dealership.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

MikeR

Unread post by MikeR » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:34 pm

I'm having the same problem. Checked the fuse in the glove box, changed the bulbs. Brake light in the window works, but not the ones in the tail light. What is the body control module and where might I find it on a 2001 grsnd prix? If this has to be checked/replaced at the dealer, do you have any idea what it costs? (both check and replace)
Thanks for your help.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:27 pm

tell me what is the problem you are having. Is it just that you brake lights don't work but the center brake light does?

you have a STOP (15A) fuse in your dash fuse panel. That fuse should bet hot all the time. It goes to an orange wire to your brake switch. it comes out of the brake switch as white wire. The white wire splits and on part goes to center brake light. the other part goes to your turn signal switch. Your turn switch is where your brake and turn signal intermix. If your center brake light works then you know your brake switch and the fuse are good. If you remove the cover on the steering column you can verify if you are getting power from the brake switch in the white wire up to the connector on the turn signal switch. If you aren't getting power from the brake switch you just have to find the break in the wire. If you are getting power to the switch and your turn signals work and your hazard lights work you may have a bad turn switch. And that switch isn't cheap.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

MikeR

Unread post by MikeR » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:54 am

Sorry for the delay. The problem Was, the break lights didn't work. Only the one in the back window worked. Last evening, I decided to check the lights again and found they did in fact work, only all the lights are really dim and can't be seen during the daylight. That's the problem I have to unravel now.

All the bulbs are new 1051s

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:50 pm

the brake light bulb is supposed to be # 3057. Where did you get the 1051 number from?

if the turn signal and 4 way flasher work normal the brake light should also work fine. the turn signal uses the same element in the bulb that the brake does.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

MikeR

Unread post by MikeR » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Someone had already changed the bulbs before. I got the number from that bulb. I looked in the book and found the right number.
Thanks for all the help. It has been much appreciated.