1992 Chev Silverado Steering pump.

stevep

1992 Chev Silverado Steering pump.

Unread post by stevep » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:51 pm

New NAPA steering pump installed but its noisy. To Boot, the Local NAPA store went out of Business. Bad Part or just not bled out properly? ITs been a few months now.

Thanks

carriedi

Re: 1992 Chev Silverado Steering pump.

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:19 pm

power steering should bleed out the air in a very short time. usually fill it up, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock a few times and then let it sit and let the air rise. If it's been a few months, there's something wrong. Warranty the pump for the noise or check to make sure the lines are tight.

without actually hearing the noise or being there to see where the noise is coming from, I would find a NAPA store and have them listen to it. It's too bad that your local store closed but the warranty is nation wide so, do you know where the closest Napa store you can go to?

what did you use for fluid? Why did you change the pump to begin with? Just asking...
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

stevep

Unread post by stevep » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:54 am

I had a leaking Power steering hose and I figured that at 147000 miles why not change the pump as well. Would it be a good idea to change the remainder of the hoses? They are cheap and easy to reach. Would a leaking low pressure hose contribute to this?

Thanks by the way

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:25 pm

If there is a power steering hose leaking I would just replace the hose that's leaking. If the other hose was in the way or laced together with the hose I was replacing I might suggest to replace them both together to save labor on doing them separately. I wouldn't not change the pump until there was something wrong with it.

there is a pressure line and a return line for power steering. did you replace the pressure line? It has a metal compression fitting on both ends. or did you replace the return line? it will only have a fitting on one end or possibly no fittings and is just a hose you clamp on to the pump and gear box.

does your power steering fluid look foamy or do you see air bubbles in the fluid? that would make it make noise and mean you may have a low side leak where the pump is pulling in air with the fluid. (more common on remote reservoirs) If the fluid looks like it is circulating and no air mixed in then I would suspect the pump. How does the power steering work? Does it give you the assist it normally does? A lot of the replacement pumps, you have to remove the inlet from the old pump and put it in the new pump. Did you have to change that on your pump? If you did, did you put it back together as it came out of the old one? (spring and check ball)

stevep

Unread post by stevep » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:21 am

Truck is running fine BUT Im concerned that the rear gear carrier is not unlocking when going around corner. I m not real certain about this. I did adjust parking Brake cable a while back and it s been fine. I noticed about a week ago that i can hear the tire slide when pulling into my tight driveway. Any way to Check this? Could it be the emerg brake cable? Or a wheel bearing getting Sticky? ITs a Dually One ton.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:18 am

you can hear the tire slide on sharp turn, on pavement of on gravel or dirt?

Have someone drive the truck just the way you do to hear it make the noise while you stand outside and watch the tires that seem to be making the noise. Are they skidding (locking up) as the truck makes the turn? I would back off the parking brake adjustment you made and see if that changes anything first. Since that would be an easy and inexpensive check to do first.