battery

Including Hyundai, Audi, BMW, Mistubishi or any other car.
babulenka

battery

Unread post by babulenka » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:16 pm

battery positive cable gets hot when engine is running - why is that ?

carriedi

Re: battery

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:08 pm

check for a good connection and see how many amps are going through the cable.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

raneger

Unread post by raneger » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:02 am

If only one wire is getting hot at a connection, then you have a bad connection at that point. Problem is everything electrical, shuts off when you hit the starter.

nelle2808

Car won't start when engine is hot!!!! HELP

Unread post by nelle2808 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:39 am

I have a 2007 Vauxhall Astra 1.3 cdti, I now have a problem When I get in my car first thing it will start without any problems, once I have driven it for about six miles and engine is hot I can turn it off but if I try to start it again all I get is a click noise and nothing. I can bump start it but it will not start by the key until the engine has cooled down. It has a new battery so it is not that. I have had alternator reconditioned not that long ago, Please someone help!

carriedi

Re: Car won't start when engine is hot!!!! HELP

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:07 am

I would be checking the starter. The click sounds like you're getting power to the starter solenoid but the power isn't going through to the starter motor. The solenoid is a big electromagnet. When it is energized it pulls a spring loaded plunger down to two big contacts that bridge the battery to the starter motor windings. As the starter gets old the contacts get worn. When they get warn enough (they don't wear evenly) eventually one contact will wear enough to not make good contact all the time. That's the case when it works sometimes and sometimes not. Eventually it will get to not work at all.

Can you see the starter in your car? If you can access the starter, have someone hold it in the start position when it doesn't start and tap on the starter. See if it cranks over after tapping on it. That will tell you for sure that the starter needs to be replaced. If you have a test light you can check the battery cable that goes to the starter. You have battery voltage at the starter on the big battery cable all the time. The little wire to the starter solenoid is from the switch to turn the starter on. The other big wire, the one that goes from the solenoid to inside the starter is to crank the starter. See if you have battery voltage on that wire when you have the key in the start position. If you do then the starter motor is bad. If you don't then your starter solenoid is bad.

that's the basics for most cars. I don't know exactly how your particular car is set up unless you have an American equivalent model for me to look up. But I think that should cover it... I hope
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

peterr991

Unread post by peterr991 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:07 pm

Wires to battery are bad connected. Your car can get on fire.