All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

contributions: 1
2000 elantra 4 door, only in the morning time when cold for about one minute my car makes a ticking or rattle type noise then goes away quick. I just got the car put $4000 into and cant afford a new one so hoping it will last a couple years at least. My mechanic doesnt really know and says its maybe something about the piston expanding when warming up and thats why it stops and no big deal he says but im still afraid. any info will make me feel better hopefully its still good enough for a couple years http://youtu.be/nGYIt7uvNpY it can be heard most between the 10 and 15 second mark the loudest at like 12 or 13.

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 2089
would be better to hear the noise out in the engine compartment but from what I heard it doesn't sound like piston slap. Valve lifter or timing chain maybe. If you only hear the noise on cold start ups I would think that it might be oil related. Try to listen to the noise out in the hood area and where in the engine does it sound like it's coming from. If it sounds like from the back of the head it might be the timing chain between the two cams.

If it is piston slap you can find out what cylinder by removing spark of fuel and see if the noise changes. Unplug the injectors one at a time and see if the noise goes away. Piston slap is usually a collapsed piston shirt from overheating or constant running with low oil level and not enough oil splash onto the cylinder walls. Has your engine over heated or had a long time oil leak?

use a stethoscope and try to locate where the noise is coming from.

Ask A Question Reply