Lots of issues with my 03 Saturn Ion 3 Sedan - automatic

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Saturn questions.
Arnie

How to replace a injector on a 1.9 engine?

Unread post by Arnie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:32 pm

How do I replace the # 1 fuel injector on a Saturn 1.9L four cylinder engine?

ProTech

Re: How to replace a injector on a 1.9 engine?

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:13 pm

It's a fairly simple procedure. First you need to relieve the fuel pressure in the system by pressing the valve on the test port. Then remove each injector harness connector, disconnect the fuel feed line, then remove the bolts that hold the fuel rail to the intake. After that, you can give the rail a wiggle to get all the injector o-rings loosened up and then pull it up and off. Then you can change which ever injector needs replaced. Reverse the instructions to install everything.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

bumpbump

Saturn Sc2 1.9 Liter Motor Knocking

Unread post by bumpbump » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Hello I own a Saturn Sc2 Which I did a top end Rebuild has head redone completely and Piston Rings Reringed and also Timing Chain and Tensioner ...Also all New Gaskets and ALL . After Motor being Installed Back in Car About 2 Weeks of Driving it a Really Loud Knocking Noise Came about Which Was Contious and Got louder as accerated... Can anyone that can help with where the Noise might be Coming From It Sounds Like it Bottom end of Motor .Motor is Back out and on Stand Completely Torn down again . I am Leaning toward Piston Bearing and Crankshaft Bearings ...Thank you !!!

carriedi

Re: Saturn Sc2 1.9 Liter Motor Knocking

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:06 am

without actually hearing the noise, from the description you gave it does make sense to look at the rod bearings and main bearings. you should have checked oil pressure before you pull the motor. otherwise while you do the bottom end you might want to include a new oil pump and pickup tube.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

bumpbump

Unread post by bumpbump » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:52 pm

IT Has Compression and Oil Pressure ..Tested it before I pulled Motor out of Car ..it made kinds knocking noise ..By using Stetascope Listen to knocking and seemed Like it was coming from Block location

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:36 am

rod knock or a main bearing knock won't lower the compression. Bearing knock is where the bearing has worn enough or spun and allow a space between connecting rod and crank or the crank and the main bearing mount. the explosion in the cylinder makes the rod close the gap with a knock sound. if the engine was still in the car you could run the engine and remove the spark from one cylinder at a time and see which cylinder the knock is coming from.

Lnewell

96 saturn sl2 dohc needs transmission

Unread post by Lnewell » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:21 am

I own a 96 saturn sl2 dohc and the transmission went out in it. Before i buy another transmission i need to find out if a 99 s series will interchange with mine. If not then which years will

carriedi

Re: 96 saturn sl2 dohc needs transmission

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:45 am

you need to call a junkyard and ask them if they have the interchange book for your trans

Cole1213

Rod knock saturn 2001 sc2

Unread post by Cole1213 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:25 pm

My Saturn sc2 just started to knock after I got on the gas a bit it's good on oil an everything any suggestions to the cause spun a bearing and lost oil pressure or....

carriedi

Re: Rod knock saturn 2001 sc2

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:13 pm

just clearing a post that was double entered and left here for a long time.

Answer could be:

a lot of miles on the engine.
oil change interval
factory clearances at max allowable from the factory but allowable so reduced life
normal wear, nothing lasts forever
engine pinging. detonation causes abnormal stresses on bearings.
Parts not perfectly made from the factory but passed inspection: (passed allowable tolerances but over time tolerances grew)
a. defective bearing
b. defective crank
c. defective rod
d. defective wrist pin
e. defective piston
Did you loose oil pressure?
Is it a rod bearing? Crank bearing? Cracked flex plate? Loose harmonic balancer? Piston slap? Bad lifter?

ashleynmatzie

Lots of issues with my 03 Saturn Ion 3 Sedan - automatic

Unread post by ashleynmatzie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:52 pm

So I have lots of issues going on with my Saturn which has been a great car and would like some advice on how to fix and if I need a mechanic about what is the normal price range so I don't get ripped off since I am a woman.

1) There is now a ticking noise when I start the engine and it is warming up, eventually it goes away. I thought maybe it is an exhaust leak but someone told me it wouldn't tick if it was an exhaust leak. Maybe this is a common Saturn issue?

2) The front end has always been very "clunky" which driving, turning, going over bumps. A mechanic has looked at my car and said the suspension is fine and nothing is loose. I am thinking maybe the front stabilizer bar links or lower control arm bushings are worn? (found that answer on this website just want to confirm)

3) My coolant sensor will not turn off even though the coolant is full. I detached the overfill reservoir and cleaned it out and refilled it and still the sensor goes off. Do I need to replace the overfill reservoir?

4) My car has started to shake when I get up to about 80mph on the freeway - I just got new front tires back in September so do I need to have them remounted and balanced, or rotate them? Maybe an alignment? car seems to drive straight.

5) For the past like 2 years my car sometimes slips out of gear (automatic), doesn't do it all the time is very temperamental. Sometimes I think it gets stuck in a gear too because when I come to a stop the car wants to jerk forward and idles high even if I put it in park or neutral or try to put it into 1st gear. I have been told I have a "sealed" tranny so the oil change place can not do a tranny flush. I had my friend drain what fluid he could and replaced the fluid and that seemed to of helped but now the car is doing it again.

6) When the heater or ac is on it squeaks - how do I get rid of the squeaking?

7) How do I check to see if my belts are still good or if they need to be replaced?

Thank you for your help!

carriedi

Re: Lots of issues with my 03 Saturn Ion 3 Sedan - automatic

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:38 pm

wow, that's a lot of stuff.

1. ticking noise: yes, it can be an exhaust leak making a ticking noise. and as the engine heats up and the metal parts expand it can close up the gap making the tick noise go diminish.

2. stabilizer link pins and frame bushings are common sources of knocking noises coming from underneath a vehicle. You have to check them on an alignment lift or a four poster. wheel cannot be hanging or it will load the suspension.

3. if you are talking about the coolant level sensor, they go bad quite often. Some cars you can replace the sensor others have to replace the reservoir. Check with your local GM dealer parts dept and they can tell you which way your particular systems is made.

4. Alignment doesn't usually tie in with a shake. Tire balance is a harmonic thing and comes in at 25-35 but you don't feel it very much and again at 50-60 mph which you will feel. 80 mph? you should contact your tire supplier and at least have the check the balance.

5. I am not a tranny person but I would have the trans scanned for codes. See if there is something the computer sees as a problem. Even though there is no dipstick for the trans there is a way to refill it. how many miles does your car have?

6. heater/ac there are so many parts in the systems, what is the noise coming from? Blower motor? AC compressor? Vents? Drive belts?

7. Use a good light and look at the belts. Look for checking or cracks. If you see any cracking they should be replaced. Something else, belts wear. The ribs wear down. There is a tool that you put in the channels of the belt and it can tell you if the belt is too worn.