All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Ask A Question Reply   

contributions: 2
89 B250 5.2L, auto. While idling to warmup engine, sometimes now, it will die, most times it will startup immediately. check engine light comes on and stays. At wits end and need some help to figure out what is the problem. dick

Share on FacebookShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

* Search   

contributions: 2039
if the check engine light stays on the best thing to do is scan for codes and see what the engine computer says. It may tell you what the problem is. Or at least point you in a direction to go.

contributions: 2
Good morning, thank yu for your reply. I, at this time, believe the problem may be solved, with a pickup coil in the distributor. I have a donor van and started replacing some parts, according to what I could figure out with the factory manual, and for the last couple days, the van is or seems to be back to normal. Regarding "codes", I never received any codes using the "check engine light" cycle, it always came on, then almost immediately disapeared. Thank yu again for your help. dickt

contributions: 2039
Congrats. glad you found the problem. Many times chryslers with fuel injection have a problem with throttle body coking. The dirt build up in the throttle plates and the throttle body will reduce your minimum air flow and will cause stalling if the computer cannot react fast enough and open the idle air control before the air is cut off to the engine.

so, your check engine light may have come on because the engine died. It will stay on until you restart the engine. Once the engine is running the light should go off again. So there wouldn't be any code. Check engine light comes on when the key is on and the engine isn't running.

Ask A Question Reply